• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guess who joined the Macaw party!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
So this is the most unexpected thing ever and I had some help but its happened.
IMG_20210424_170056_913.jpg IMG_20210424_170056_948.jpg IMG_20210424_170056_969.jpg

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Congratulations... more details??
WELL it's a long story. I worked at local bird store (I do not anymore) - lady relinquished him and Moluccan - both DNA tested males @ 24 years old. They've been with her and her deceased husband (main handler) for their entire life and she was old and just couldn't anymore (unsure if she didn't handle them ever or if she was just too old and grieving her husband). Fred instantly took a liking to me to the point he'd bite/go after anyone if I was near. I was equally infatuated with him. Tried talking manager down on price, wouldn't budge. Wasn't sure if I was WILLING to shell the full amount (which was pretty much baby GWM price...) in this instance. Well I was willing, but my partner (who would be doing half of the payment) did not feel it was justified (understandable). I vented to my friend who happily offered to do a small fundraising for a little portion of the cost (and our mutual friend gave a good chunk alone). I was willing to take the extra help I guess BECAUSE of our very lovely connection.

He came home and you'd think this bird has lived here his whole 24 years! Better yet, my partner keeps piping in to say how glad he is we got him and that he is a perfect addition to our family - this coming from a non-bird person.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations :starshower1:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!!! :birdance:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you. I am over the moon with this goober. He's even been a helpful training tool with my Patagonian Conure, Maze! Oh what jealousy can encourage a bird to do :lol:
Right? That fear of missing out is SO strong with them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow! Congratulations!

:smileflower:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats, and I wish you the best.
You have a lot of smaller birds, do you have a separate place for your macaw?
I know mine could easily hurt/kill my smaller ones if they ever climbed his cage.
Also beware the sweet behavior you're seeing now may change a bit as he becomes used to your home.
If you have macaw experience, forgive me for the 'be careful' warning.
How long was he at the pet store?

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Congrats, and I wish you the best.
You have a lot of smaller birds, do you have a separate place for your macaw?
I know mine could easily hurt/kill my smaller ones if they ever climbed his cage.
Also beware the sweet behavior you're seeing now may change a bit as he becomes used to your home.
If you have macaw experience, forgive me for the 'be careful' warning.
How long was he at the pet store?
I am plenty in tune with macaws and their tendency to cause havoc . Living vicariously through so many other people.

They're all in the same room but I take large birds out together and my little roam the room during that time, then I do a switcheroo. When my brother moves out of our home I will have his old bedroom for the little specifically.

And yes I am already fighting hormones with Fred. He wont take the hint I'm not interested in his booty call . Trying to let him down easy... but we are going to head into routine training soon so I can hopefully help his mind get out of that zone.

He was at the pet store for a short time - merely 2? Weeks perhaps

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Make sure Fred has a swing or a boing as macaws love to swing. I'm sure Fred is missing his family.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Congrats. Make sure Fred has a swing or a boing as macaws love to swing. I'm sure Fred is missing his family.
He's got one! I have about 3-4 swings none of my larger birds will use but he took to them right away. I am so happy a bird is finally using them. He sleeps on the swing <3.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As you may have guessed GWs are my special bird (I've had three) and mature birds even more special. I'm so very glad that you got Fred (the name of the parrot in Buffalo Gals - that I always wanted to name one) and believe me you will have a learning curve ahead of you.

I want to mention that if he lived with a Moluccan all that time, there is a possibility that he may have some Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome My new girl (35 years old) came from a home where she loved with nine cockatoos for 20 years (lots and lots of air purifiers). Kitty has Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome and I have to keep that in mind at all times. Several members of this forum have lost their birds to this disease.
https://www.thebirdclinic.com/docs/Pulmonary_Hypersensitivity_2017.pdf

I'm sure you will love Fred to pieces.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
As you may have guessed GWs are my special bird (I've had three) and mature birds even more special. I'm so very glad that you got Fred (the name of the parrot in Buffalo Gals - that I always wanted to name one) and believe me you will have a learning curve ahead of you.

I want to mention that if he lived with a Moluccan all that time, there is a possibility that he may have some Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome My new girl (35 years old) came from a home where she loved with nine cockatoos for 20 years (lots and lots of air purifiers). Kitty has Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome and I have to keep that in mind at all times. Several members of this forum have lost their birds to this disease.
https://www.thebirdclinic.com/docs/Pulmonary_Hypersensitivity_2017.pdf

I'm sure you will love Fred to pieces.
Thanks for that heads up. A vet visit was planned and I will bring this up for sure.

I was honestly waiting and preparing my home for a baby macaw (probably a GWM anyways) but I know that babies can change and start preferring other members of the household as they mature. When Fred showed how head over heels he was for me at 24, I knew he was the one and there was a much less likelihood of him having a swap because he is matured already. I am aware time can change things though, but I am enjoying our relationship thus far.