• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guess who is a mama !

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
ARIEL :dancing::dancing::dance4::dance4: my English Albino budgie who did nothing but hang up side down since I got her over a year ago :D

I've sat her up for breeding over the time i've had her with a few different good men (proven daddies) and never NOTHING. no matter how hard they hit on her, Flirted with her etc. notta thing she was to busy hanging upside down

well a couple months back I noticed several times I'd go in the bird room and she was actually on a perch and was allowing a male to flirt with her even feed her :eek: which was just strange for her lol

then about 2 weeks later she was up on some ring toys and i looked up and her vent had a lot of stuck poo on it, I figured Great the few times she doesn't hang upside down she gets it by the male and is now egg bound ...... So I pull her out of the cage she's in get her into the bathroom where I had a dish of warm water already for her .. soon as her bum hits the water all the poo comes off NOT EGG BOUND at all..... then i noticed all the feathers around her vent were very very long - Figured that's why her poo got clumped up Plus I'm sure her constant hanging up side down doesn't help matters any lol So we trimmed them (we've done it in the past with tiels (sometimes the feathers get too long around the vent and the male can't do his job correctly)

well then I decided to set her up with Shadow my Grey Spangle male. wasn't maybe 3 days later the 1st egg was laid SURPRISED us all she had a total of 8 eggs, when I counted the days Yesterday 5 of them should of hatched and haven't

One was in the nest box broke open -just yolk- when i looked yesterday and one was on the cage floor, So I took out the broken one, and the one on the cage floor was not broken so i put it back in the nest and let her go back to what she was doing. There were no babies yesterday

Checked tonight and to our surprise there wasn't 1 but 2 babies! One is Albino one is a Dark eyed baby both born Today. but from 2 separate eggs (I re counted the eggs about 5 times and subtracted the broken one To make sure it wasn't "twins" I would of passed out if it was - that doesn't happen often and never has happened to me I just get 2-3 babies born on the same day all from their own eggs lol

So Ariel is a Brand new Mommy and Shadow is a Daddy Again

1st pic is Mommy Ariel - Shadow moved on me LOL
2nd and 3rd pics are of the 2 babies just different views
3rd and 4th pics are of Ariel and Shadow - The darker one I had my hand in front of the flash so it would stop making Ariel look like a huge white flash of light & I had my hand a bit too far over the flash LOL

Shadow is a Grey Spangle Split to Albino & Opaline

Ariel as far as I know is just Albino - guess we'll find out soon enough if she's hiding anything :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:)Wow! Congrats to all of you!

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Congrats. I can't wait to see how the babies will look feathered.

PS. Maybe the upside down was to address a fertility issue!!!:hehe:

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
PS. Maybe the upside down was to address a fertility issue!!!:hehe:
Or maybe like Phoebe on friends - when she gets invitro and she sits upside down on the couch so they will "settle in" lol maybe Ariel didn't want anything to fall out ;)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
lol - only thing is she hangs upside down 24/7 since they day I've got her and even now when i go to check the nest box she runs out and Hangs upside down until i am done

I often wonder if their blood rushes to their head doing it like it does us LOL because man she wouldn't have any blood any where but in her head lol

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That's so funny. I'm glad she's finally becoming a mom for you.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks guys

I'll update pics when I can since she's a 1st time mom don't want to stress her out too much, Most of the time when we went to check the eggs she wouldn't budge at all - did not try to bite or anything just wasn't moving what so ever lol
most of them we can touch their tail and they'll at least scoot over or stand up and move over so we can see but she was determined to show us we were not allowed lol

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aww that is wonderful congratulations

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Awww, CONGRATS! :hug8:

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Maybe she gets a "rush" running to hang upside down that she likes... lol. I've never heard of a bird that loves hanging upside down that much!

Congrats on the new fabies!!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Congrats on the new babies!:hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Maybe she gets a "rush" running to hang upside down that she likes... lol. I've never heard of a bird that loves hanging upside down that much!

Congrats on the new fabies!!
Thanks.. lol me either, the only time she didn't do it is when i had the octagon shaped cage - but there were no bars on the roof it was flat slick metal She had no choice but to stay in the upright position lol

Congrats on the new babies!:hug8:

Thank you - Hoping to see a 3rd today :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
getting ready to go check, I just saw it was almost 7 30 - I usually have them watered at 7 But i got side tracked

Just got done watering/checking nest boxes No new babies for Ariel but I have a new baby I'll post about in a bit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.