• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guess what I saw on Beverly Hillbillies?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
An Amazon! I think it was a lilac. In an episode where Jethro has a crush on a birdwatcher, Athena (and later becomes a woodchuck). Nancy Dow played Athena.

If admins can correct spelling in title to "saw", I would appreciate it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How neat!

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It's always fun when a parrot pops up in series/episode. I remember an episode of mchales navy. And only murders in the building has one in their current season.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's always fun when a parrot pops up in series/episode. I remember an episode of mchales navy. And only murders in the building has one in their current season.
I remember when a tree of "Quakers" was in a prominent scene of CSI : NY and it was a bunch of Greenies and Black Capped Conures! I laughed so hard at that massive mistake.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
It was sitting on Jethro's arm with a lot of other birds

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I like watching the old TV shows and I saw that one too. It wasn't the only time a parrot appeared on The Beverly Hillbillies. I remember that there was a Cockatoo in one of the early black & white episodes. Ellie May was fond of "critters." :)

Parrots often showed up on episodes of Bewitched and single episodes of Hazel and Leave it to Beaver also had appearances by parrots.

Seems like I watch a lot of the old shows
. :wacky: Naturally I always notice when parrots show up in them.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I started watching the oldies from the first episode. Been all the way thru Bewitched.

I think I saw the cockatoo one. I love the critters but had no idea Miss Jane had a crush on Jethro. I love the guest stars in this series. A taxi driver early on was the guy with all the voices! Last night I saw a Gloria Swanson episode.

My favorites so far? First episode (can't spoil for folks) and episode 32 in season 1, The Clampetts in Court.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
There's another old program that I forgot to mention that featured a parrot. There is an episode of Perry Mason entitled "The Case of the Perjured Parrot." The parrot used in the program was an Amazon, but in black and white, I couldn't quite tell which kind. The parrot's voice was provided by Mel Blanc, the master of cartoon voices (Bugs Bunny among many others). He didn't sound all that much like a real parrot but I doubt if too many people would notice that unless they're parrot people like us.

I'm old enough that I watched shows like The Beverly Hillbillies and Bewitched in their original runs. I still enjoy the old shows. They've held up well after all these years and are fun to watch. Seeing parrots in them makes them even more fun. :D

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mel Blanc was that taxi driver!!! Just saw an episode with John Wayne at the end of it.

I think we all watched some of these as children but watching them in order is fun (and enlightening). Didn't realize that Samantha's husband (on Bewitched) was such a jerk at times.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember the Beverly Hillbillies episode where Mel Blanc played the taxi driver. Though he was most famous for cartoon voices, he did appear in front of the camera sometimes. On the old Jack Benny Program, he played several different parts over the years, and did voices too. Once more, he was the voice of a parrot, Jack Benny's parrot in the show, whose name was Polly.
I should advise any of my fellow parrot people if you ever watch the Perry Mason episode I mentioned above, be prepared to be disgusted with the terrible cage they used for the Amazon in the show. It was a round, domed cage, much too small for a large parrot, completely inappropriate. I imagine that he had better accommodations in real life.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Episode of Here's Lucy, Harry has a pair of parakeets.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did not watch the show so I missed out. Did you read the book about the barn owl?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING