• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guess what.. birdie bread was eaten and enjoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
I made birdie bread for batman ages ago and he wouldnt have a bar of it. In the end i froze it and came across it last night. I hung some in his cage today and he has chewed so much of it up.

Now granted my birdie bread was a complete novice attempt, it doesnt look pretty nor is it all risen like bread should be but as someone asked for the recipe here is what I can remember of it.

1 cup wholemeal flour
1 egg including shell
stewed apple
stewed plum
stewed feijoa ( a god awful fruit we have here in nz that some like and I personally loathe)
some grated carrot
a pinch of baking powder

mix it all up, throw it in a bread pan and I sprinkled some seed on top in the hope it would entice him.

bake until it looks good ( can you tell I am not a recipe kinda girl ? :lol:)
allow to cool and cut into squares.

because it didnt rise much i simply pop it on his fruit skewer or on his hanging clips in his cage.

I will see if i can get a pic but please remember i warned you its not pretty birdy bread LOL

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Great news! I have been meaning to try out birdie bread with everyone and keep forgetting. I have a good three days off this week so I sure am gonna try to remember!

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
ahh Billie Faye yours looks heaps better than mine thats for sure LOL

here are the pics to prove it LOL

you can see that the seed was obviously the first to go, which is what happened last time we tried... but look at that big chunk out of it!

oh and i love my funny wee peg hook thing. Got three of them from hubbies grandmas place but cant find any more in the shops :(

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
That doesn't look bad at all!
I would add more greens to it the next time and see how that does...OH and the reason it didn't rise was the amount of baking powder you use...:hug8:

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
yeah i didnt want to over do it because of stuff i have read on line about baking powder and fids plus i think all the stewed fruit made it very heavy :D

feebee

Jogging around the block
thanks for posting this! :) BF what do you use in yours? or do you just throw it all in? im thinking of making a type of bread with the pellet i have, esp since Gerald loves me giving a bit of my crust of toast in the morning (he only gets a few bites before i take away)

Status
Not open for further replies.