• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GSE I continue to increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
the use of GSE in our house besides in the water for cleaning cages. Here are some of the ways that can really be helpful. We have so much rain here that am always concerned about mold in inconspicuous places. I was totally surprised about adding to paint and have started to put in my lemon water too, it actually tastes good.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Natural Non Toxic Household Cleaner
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grapefruit seed extract is a natural cleaning formula used to protect against Staph, Strep, Aspergillus, Salmonella, and many other common bacteria viruses and parasites found in the household. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is simple to use, put a few drops in a spray bottle and use it as a spray on wipe off cleaning solution, there's no need to rinse it off. It is also very economical to use in comparison to other cleaners.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Most all household cleaners contain hazardous, caustic and obnoxious smelling chemicals that can be absorbed into your body either by touch or smell. They burn your skin, eyes, mucus membranes and can also be fatal if swallowed or cause other health problems such as cancer if used over long periods of time. Just the smell of these toxic cleaners are harmful to your health. Grapefruit seed extract is nontoxic, does not smell and it leaves no toxic residue. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,]Here's a list of common household products that contain known carcinogens or neurotoxins composed by David Steinman, author of The Safe Shopper's Bible.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In pathology, a carcinogen is any substance or agent that produces cancer. A neurotoxin is a toxic agent or substance that inhibits, damages or destroys the tissues of the nervous system, especially neurons, the conducting cells of your body's central nervous system. Neurotoxic effects can include behavior changes, seizures, as well as wide range of effects, including death. Symptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grapefruit seed extract is an effective additive for cleaning and whitening toilets, sinks, tubs, tiles, carpets, laundry, clothing, linens, dish water and eating utensils. Many hospitals use grapefruit seed extract for these purposes with superior results.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A growing number hospitals are now using grapefruit seed extract as a safe alternative to the harsh and damaging chemical based cleaners of the past. Grapefruit seed extract is being used in the wash to insure that linens are fungi and bacteria free. It also eliminates molds and odors associated with rancid laundry.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jerry Skidmore, C.L.M Manager of laundry operations for the Florida Hospital, wrote, "I have had 30 years experience in the laundry industry and it is only since using (Grapefruit Seed Extract) that I have had the peace of mind and assurance that the patients in our hospital and the other hospitals we serve have complete protection from fungal and bacteria infections that can be associated with linens. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is especially gratifying to know that even after many hours of exposure to the various bacteria that are always present in hospitals, our linens has been tested and found free of all harmful or pathogenic organisms."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Hospitals also add grapefruit seed extract to their carpet shampooing machines. It is reported that just 10-15 drops of grapefruit seed extract per reservoir gallon is effective against many pathogenic organisms. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grapefruit seed extract is also a natural nontoxic wash and preservative for meats, fish, poultry, fruits, berries, vegetables and salads etc. It is used with water to wash fruits and vegetables to remove all pesticides, microbes and bacteria that may be present. Grapefruit seed extract[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] leaves salad greens and vegetables clean crisp and ready to enjoy! With no after taste, a very important benefit![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grapefruit seed extract has been tested and proven by universities and countless laboratories throughout the world to be at least 10 times more effective than Colloidal Silver, Iodine and Clorox Bleach. Without the toxicity and high cost of commercial household cleaners.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Household Cleaning and Miscellaneous Uses [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1. Air Conditioners/Air Purifiers[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Laundry Cleaner[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 2. Canned Foods Spray[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Paint Additive[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 3. Carpets/Rugs [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Regular Strength Cleaner[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 4. Cutting board Cleaner & Sanitizer[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. Soap Additive - Liquid Soap[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 5. Dishes/Utensil Cleaner[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. Soap Making[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 6. Eyeglass Cleaner[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. Sparkling Glassware/Dishes[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 7. Floor Cleaner[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18. Super Strength Cleaner[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 8. Furniture Cleaner Spray[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19. Tar/Grease: Remover[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9. Health Care Giver [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20. Veggie /Fruit /Or Meat Cleaner [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 10. Hot Tubs/Jacuzzis [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21. Water Treatment[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 11. Hot Tubs, Etc... Cleaner [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22. Wax Removal - Apples[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 12. Humidifiers/Dehumidifiers[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 23.Window Cleaner [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tip: For your convenience add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to a couple of 16 oz spray bottles filled with water. Keep one in the kitchen, bathroom or even in the car! To be used as an all purpose cleaner etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note: Allow grapefruit seed extract 15-30 seconds before wiping off counter tops or rinsing vegetables etc.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Conditioners / Air Purifiers:Filters harbor germs. Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water. Spray filter elements once a week. Allow to dry before using. Cleaning these on a regular basis can help reduce the dangers of airborne mold, mildew, viruses etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carpets And Rugs:Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per gallon of hot water. Grapefruit seed extract has been proven by hospitals to be extremely effective for this type of cleaning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canned Foods :Grapefruit seed extract can be used to spray the tops of any canned foods before opening to decontaminate. Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to 16oz (2 cups water). Spray on (let stand for 15-30 seconds) and rinse with clean water.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cutting Board Cleaner :Apply (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to cutting board and work in with a damp sponge or dishcloth. Let stand 30 minutes, rinse. This will remove salmonella, e-coli and many other harmful parasites and fungi.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dishes and Utensil Cleaner: Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to a sink full of dishwashing water or to final rinse. Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to automatic dishwashing detergent or in the final rinse. For sparkling clean sterilized dishes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eyeglass Cleaner:Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to 16oz (2 cups water). You can add more grapefruit seed extract for tough jobs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Floor Cleaner:Kitchen & bathroom. Use either normal or super strength mixes (listed Below) under regular or super strength cleaner. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Furniture Cleaner Spray: Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per 2-cups water and spray untill moist and let dry. Spray test a small area if you are worried about possible discoloration?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Health Care Givers: Use grapefruit seed extract for cleaning the hands, before or after contact with the patient. Put (?) drops of extract directly on wet hands and rub it in. Grapefruit seed extract is used in hospitals to sterilize operating rooms surgical tools and as a presurgical scrub, as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hot Tubs and Jacuzzis: Mix (?) grapefruit seed extract for every 27 USA gallons of water or 100 liters. It will prevent the growth of algae and germs. Grapefruit seed extract isn't decomposed by UV rays and has no harmful vapors to rise up in the air you breath. Not only is possible damage avoided-good health is promoted. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hot Tubs Cleaning: Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to 1 qt water. Spray or wipe surfaces and surrounding areas.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers: Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per gallon of water to prevent contamination or growth of algae. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Laundry Cleaner: Grapefruit seed extract is used by hospitals in the final rinse to sterilize linens and towels etc. Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to a small load of laundry or (?) drops to a large wash load. It may be added at the same time as laundry detergent. For best results add during the final rinse cycle. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paint Additive: Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per gallon (more can be added, but may soften the film slightly). Use more only when fungus or mildew threat is severe. Can be used with, primer coats, finish coats, deck stain and sealers, clear coating and specialty finishes like STO (trowelable finish system). It's particularly effective in areas of high humidity (restrooms, shower areas and all interior paint jobs). Can also be added to any patching, caulking or filling compounds to improve resistance to mold, mildew, fungal or other contamination at the same rate as above. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Regular Strength Cleaner: For general cleaning. It can be sprayed on all surfaces around the home or office. To mix use (?) drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water. For larger quantities mix (?) grapefruit seed extract per gallon of water. Grapefruit seed extract also whitens sinks, tubs, tiles and can be sprayed on algae.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Soap Additive: Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to 100ml (3.5 fluid oz). Add to any liquid hand or dish soap, shampoo or other personal hygiene products.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Soap Making: Cosmetics/Soapmaking. Grapefruit seed extract improves quality and shelf life, using 0.05%, up to 1% solution. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sparkling Glassware / Dishes: Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to sinkful of wash or rinse water, or to automatic dishwasher. Grapefruit seed extract can be added to wash or rinse cycle of either wash method. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Super Strength Cleaner:This can be used for more extreme jobs; toilet bowls, pet mess clean up etc. To mix use (?) drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water. For larger quantities mix (?) grapefruit seed extract per gallon of water.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tar and Grease Remover: Grapefruit seed extract is good for breaking down tar and grease and other gummy substances. Use it undiluted and test a small area first as grapefruit seed extract has a bleaching effect. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Veggie, Fruit, Meat and fish Cleaner : Contamination is a real concern with more and more fruits and vegetables being imported daily. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Read more about imported [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fruits and vegetables[/FONT][/FONT]. For sink washing; Add (?) or more drops grapefruit seed extract to a sink full of cold water and briefly soak vegetables, fruits, salads, meats, or poultry [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to remove all pesticides, microbes, and bacteria that may be present[/FONT]. For spray washing; add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water and spray vegetables (or you may pour this solution into a small bowl and place lettuce or other vegetables including meat into the mix and submerse.) [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The latter method is by far the most effective. [/FONT]Let vegetables remain in this solution for a few minutes before rinsing for best results. You will be surprised at all of the dirt and grime etc. that grapefruit seed extract will remove. Sometimes the wash water is so dirty it looks like milk. This mix can also be used to extend the shelf life of all vegetables and fruits by 3-4 times, especially berries. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Water Treatment: For emergency use or for long term storage. First water should be filtered. At the very least let the suspended particles settle. Retain the clear water. Add (?) drops grapefruit seed extract or (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per gallon of water. Depending on water quality and storage time. Up to (?) drops grapefruit seed extract per cup can be added in extreme cases. Shake or stir vigorously and let sit and settle for a few minutes before drinking. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wax Removal: Grapefruit seed extract seems to remove the wax that is sprayed on apples. Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract to 16oz (2 cups water). Spray a few times wipe and rub apples a little to help remove wax. Or wet apples and apply 1 drop grapefruit seed extract and a few drops of water per apple and rub with fingertips until apple lathers up and let sit for a few minutes before rinsing off. This seems to work much better than spraying. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Window Cleaner: Mix (?) drops grapefruit seed extract in 2-cups water for larger amounts mix (?) drops more or less per gallon for sparkling clean glass.

Here's the link.
[/FONT] Natural Household Cleaner
[/FONT]

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks JR - I use it a lot, but there are more uses than I realized!!

this is such great info, am making this a sticky :)

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I used to use GSE a lot around here until that I found out that it's NOT an "all natural" product. :( I first heard that GSE contained synthetic additives through a couple of threads posted in the "Feeding Feathers" online Yahoo group an then I read a few articles about it.

Here's an article about the truth about GSE:

Synthetic Additives in GSE

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think this is a great thread JR. Thanks for posting it. GSE is one of my household staples. I use it to clean Squeeky's cage, toys, and just to clean around my room and entire house. I love not having the harsh smells which are not good for the birds to inhale anyway.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I use the GSE to soak any vegetables and fruits for me or the birds. My vet said to let them soak about 20 min. I've found that vegetables stay fresh longer, especially lettuce. Since Hank absolutely won't drink water if it has even a hint of ACV, I put a couple of drops of GSE in their water bottle.

I don't use it as much since I started using F10.
ML

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use the GSE to soak any vegetables and fruits for me or the birds. My vet said to let them soak about 20 min. I've found that vegetables stay fresh longer, especially lettuce. Since Hank absolutely won't drink water if it has even a hint of ACV, I put a couple of drops of GSE in their water bottle.

I don't use it as much since I started using F10.
ML
Thanks for mentioning F10, I am currently researching it's benefits and usage.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
F10Biocare JR this is a good place to research. At the very bottom of the page is a link to the maker/developer of F10. Gives case studies and bunches of research info. I really researched it before I started using it, even though my veterinarian recommended it when Hank had the MRSA infection.
ML

Status
Not open for further replies.