• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gryphon needs a warm buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think he hates sleeping alone. He is always happy when I go and take him from his cage before first light, and hold him close to me against my chest. He mutters soft continuous chirps, and he usually scuffles his feet against me for a minute at first. I have him with me here now. He hopped to the keyboard and stretched out his wings, then jumped back onto me. He needs a warm sleep buddy. Maybe a little heating pad for now? Poor baby.:)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
My heart went ...Thud...when I read poor Gryphon...whew!

I keep a small flouresant fixture, with a sunlight bulb in it at the top of all the mousebird cages. If they want to get warm they get close to that. You might be able to find a small flat repile heating pad, Roll it up between a layer of sheepskin or fake craft fur, and hang it from the top of the cage for a sleeping buddy.

Another thought...ducking...LOL...he may need a live mousebird buddy.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Another thought...ducking...LOL...he may need a live mousebird buddy. :rofl:That is what I was thinking also!!!!!:dance5::hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awwwww :) Maybe Gryphon needs another mousebird friend :) I think that sounds like the best solution

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. Poor Gryphon. Do you think one of those fuzzy corner buddy things would work like you can get for budgies and other birds?
I was alittle scared when I read the title too.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..sorry. Didn't mean to scare anyone!:eek: He is fine and well. He just gets chilly, I know because he loves to warm up against me. Yes, a mousebird buddy is what he needs!:D Susan, I do have a yellow birdie buddy, and a string thing...he sleeps plastered between the two of them but they do not generate heat.:( Thanks for the ideas Susanne. I do have a piece of reptile tape..it's scary, home made. I wouldn't use it. I would need a regulator, and would have to buy another Zoomed heat pad. I can get both, I'll start looking. I would be scared to roll it up though...those things need to be flat as far as I know.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
OK, I asked Kristy Kringle to change the title so you don't have a heart attack!:lol:Thanks Kristy!

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK, I asked Kristy Kringle to change the title so you don't have a heart attack!:lol:Thanks Kristy!
------------------------------------------------

Yes...the first though in my mind is that Cochise snacked on him :(

I have been itching to make model mousebirds...life sized. Maybe I'll give it a try. Do you think one off those fish tank heaters can be inserted in a model mousbird so that it can be turned on at night for warmth?

Not that I'm tempting you...LOL. But look at this swet pix. This was Double Stuff, a WB as a baby... This was from the breeder, when I first started looking for mousebirds. And look how big they are at about 2 weeks old.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

------------------------------------------------

Yes...the first though in my mind is that Cochise snacked on him :(

I have been itching to make model mousebirds...life sized. Maybe I'll give it a try. Do you think one off those fish tank heaters can be inserted in a model mousbird so that it can be turned on at night for warmth?

Not that I'm tempting you...LOL. But look at this swet pix. This was Double Stuff, a WB as a baby... This was from the breeder, when I first started looking for mousebirds. And look how big they are at about 2 weeks old.
AWWWWW! Come on eggies!:dance4:
I would not put an aquarium heater in any type of material..NO No NO! :eek:They are meant to work under water only.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I would not put an aquarium heater in any type of material..NO No NO! :eek:They are meant to work under water only.
------------------------------------------------------

OK...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
----------------------------------

That would work for your little fella. And I'll have to get a couple for when I pull little mousers to handfeed. I have some more small carriers, and it is recommended to separate them as they get older so that they imprint more on the human than the other mousers. The heating pads can be put on the side of the carrier, and a Swifter pad snugged against it so that the mouser can snuggle against the Swifter for warmth.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Troy might have to give up his pillow!:lol: Hehe..
I took the second link off because although cheaper, it has no thermostat. I like the petsmart one better.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww, that baby mousebird is SO precious! I'm feeling the effects of MBS coming on...I want a bird I can cuddle! Ella is quite the cuddler...with Paul :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My heart went ...Thud...when I read poor Gryphon...whew!

I keep a small flouresant fixture, with a sunlight bulb in it at the top of all the mousebird cages. If they want to get warm they get close to that. You might be able to find a small flat repile heating pad, Roll it up between a layer of sheepskin or fake craft fur, and hang it from the top of the cage for a sleeping buddy.

Another thought...ducking...LOL...he may need a live mousebird buddy.

I was thinking the same thing:hehe:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok..I ordered the petsmart one! He will have it by Christmas eve.:snowman3: I don't want a light..I could use a red bulb, but would rather have just the heat. He has a nightlight by virtue of an outside light that streams in the window. If there were too much light I think we might have some noisy parrots keeping everyone up.

Status
Not open for further replies.