• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growling?

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
My lovebird has been growling very randomly lately. I don't know why, maybe its not a growl? It sounds kind of like one to me. Please help! Thanks :) :rflb:

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
@Zara ? Might also help if you posted a video if this "growling"?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel barks when the dog does! LOL

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
A video would help. I don't want to weigh in yet, we all interpret sounds differently

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Really?

Wow that´s nice to know. I thought Aldora was just weird. When I first heard it, I was like ¨WTH is that?¨, I often wondered where she came from, maybe she had been living out near the ponds where the frogs are and was copying.
It is the sound she makes when she is angry or broody.
Lapis copies her and makes the same sound, but for no reason, just when she is relaxing on a branch.

When does your bird make the sound?

Reactions: ELS

Axie

Sitting on the front steps
Haha my lovebird growls too! It sounds a little like Aldora's noise, but its softer and more sullen... It sounds like he's blowing a raspberry lol

Kiki does it whenever I do something he doesn't like, like trying to touch him when he's busy, when I forbid him from chewing something he's not supposed to, trying to "steal" stuff from his food bowl (I'm actually trying to do the opposite...) etc. I got a shock when I first heard it tbh, now it's the most hilarious thing to me :laugh:

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Zara, since your thread every time Momo makes that sound, we say to each other "she ate a frog again!"

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon does sometimes make a sort of growl sound. He will say it, "grrr hahaha grrr grrr hahaha". It makes me laugh.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara, since your thread every time Momo makes that sound, we say to each other "she ate a frog again!"
hehehehehe that´s so funny :roflmao:

If any of you lovie owners catch the sound on video and post it here, tag me because I would love to see that!;)

Leahandtwins15

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leah
This isn’t really a reply and not completely on the same topic. I haven’t figured out this site completely yet so idk how to make my own posts lol.
My lovebird won’t allow me to pick him up anymore after growing his wings in and becoming more independent. I’ve respected that and not forced anything on him. He will allow me to feed him Millet from my hand and he also flys on me sometimes. There is even times he flys on my head while I’m sleeping to wake me up. It’s crazy to me that he won’t step on my finger or allow me to pet his head anymore after being able to fly! There is that and also he seems to view my phone as a threat? He growls at it and nibbles the sides. Anytime I’m in bed and using my phone he flys over to growl or bite my fingers. Sometimes I put it on selfie and let him see hisself and he growls and clicks his beak. What does all this mean!!??
Also he has a friend named Jack that’s also a lovebird so I don’t think he’s trying to be in a relationship with my phone.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Leah,

There is even times he flys on my head while I’m sleeping to wake me up.
It is not wise to have a bird (especially a little one) out while you are sleeping. They can easily be hurt by accident. Best keep him in his cage ´til you are awake.

It’s crazy to me that he won’t step on my finger or allow me to pet his head anymore after being able to fly!
Not allowing you to touch is head comes with the territory of growing up. Some birds don´t like to be touched and so that is their personality.
How old is the bird? If your bird is moulting, they usually donñt like to be handled much. Offering baths helps soothe them a little.

He growls at it and nibbles the sides.
My birds like to try chew my phone. I play with it, therefore it must be fun, so they want to try ;)
Some birds just don´t like phones. I think Loki, @DoubleTake ´s bird, doesn´t like phones.

He will allow me to feed him Millet from my hand and he also flys on me sometimes. There is even times he flys on my head
Stick to it. Keep spending time with the birds. Allowing out of cage time, treats etc. Switch up the treats to keep them interested.
It just takes time.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My birds like to try chew my phone. I play with it, therefore it must be fun, so they want to try ;)
Some birds just don´t like phones. I think Loki, @DoubleTake ´s bird, doesn´t like phones.
Loki usuallu doesnt like any form of electroics if I am holding it because she gets jealous and will try to nip at me to get me to let it go. If someone else is holding the phone, she could care less....

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Sometimes I put it on selfie and let him see hisself and he growls and clicks his beak. What does all this mean!!??
In this instance, if he is fluffed up and click his beak. It is most likely that he isnt happy with it, judging by all your other descriptions. Sometimes they do it before they attack. Its all bout body language, hard to tell since I cant see it.