• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growling noise

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't had babies so I've never heard mine do this before, but I have heard that babies make dinosaur noises when they want food!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you soak some pellets in hot water and offer some mushy warm pellets? Babies often regress some when they are moved to a new environment and often need a bit of extra TLC or babying, it is a comforting reassuring thing.

Iona

Meeting neighbors
Oh that's interesting, I can try that.
Thanks everyone for the help, I was really worried there was something "wrong" I feel much better in helping her more.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird was refusing all meals from the breeder for a while before I brought him home because he was a big boy and eating on his own..... he begged for baby food the first night at my house and was given it any time he wanted it. He was always so happy and content after his warm mushy pellets- I actually grind them to powder them up and I still give him a warm bowl of wet pellet paste every night which he loves most nights.

Iona

Meeting neighbors
My bird was refusing all meals from the breeder for a while before I brought him home because he was a big boy and eating on his own..... he begged for baby food the first night at my house and was given it any time he wanted it. He was always so happy and content after his warm mushy pellets- I actually grind them to powder them up and I still give him a warm bowl of wet pellet paste every night which he loves most nights.
So do I feed it to her or let her feed herself?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If she wants to take it from your hands or a teaspoon then by all means feed her if you want- if she wants it in a bowl on her own then that is fine too :)

Edit: Just make sure it is not too hot ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes , that's a hungry baby noise. Keep an eye on her weight and droppings.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, she sounds hungry. Make sure she has access to food she will eat all day long, and you should start weighing her.

Iona

Meeting neighbors
I agree, she sounds hungry. Make sure she has access to food she will eat all day long, and you should start weighing her.
I will, I will find weight guidelines for her and monitor it. Should I be weighing the food too?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My cockatiel makes those noises when eating millet from me (but louder). He's fully grown so sometimes birds can be strangeo_O

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's the complaining noise. Callisto only does it if I get too close with my hands or handle her. She's a strange bird. Sweet, never bites, but doesn't generally like being handled.
Since yours is a baby and is doing this frequently I agree with others that she probably is hungry. Good idea to get a gram scale and weigh her daily. You can get formula and feed her using a spoon or put some of the formula in a dish and let her eat that on her own. You can also moisten and soften pellets with some warm water and see if she will eat that. Don't leave the formula or moistened pellets in the dish for too long. Do this when you will be home so you can remove the formula/moistened pellets in a timely manner.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I will, I will find weight guidelines for her and monitor it. Should I be weighing the food too?
You don’t have to weigh the food unless you want to know how much she eats, but with the amount that is spilled it’s really hard to tell. Cockatiels don’t usually over eat, so I would just make sure she is eating and has access to food all day. @iamwhoiam has some good suggestions for enticing her to eat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
its reassuring to know that they dont overeat, I did wonder about that.
...they don't, as a rule "over eat".... ;)

melissa68

Walking the driveway
My baby boy would also do it when he wanted to be comforted. He'd crawl on my shoulder and want to cuddle in my long hair. I think he thought he was being brooded by mommy.

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
Omg my bird makes exactly the same sound. He's 3 months old. He makes that sound when we give him millet and occasionally when we give him scritches. I assumed it was a happy noise.

Reactions: Ali