• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

growling ekkie

aoteaozzy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nola Moana
hi
i have a 6 month old male eclectus parrot when ever i give him his food he growls alot even when he can see us outside far away from him i am not sure what the problem is needing a bit of advice on what it could be please

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm not sure what he's upset about, or if he's playing around with the sound. Is there some body posture and details about when he does it you can add?

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. It could be two things. One is he is trying to be the flock leader. At his age it does make sense. You might need to add a second or third food area so his territory isn't in one place. Is he out when you feed him? Feed him in different parts of the cage/room so he doesn't obsess over one area.
The second is he may be showing early signs of hormonal behaviour. Either way he shouldn't be punished. He needs you learn you are not a pushover. Spend some time in the food areas, pretend to clean more often but do keep an eye on what he is doing. Being territorial is normal. He will settle down but he is doing what they do in the wild. Birds argue over who gets the higher branch. He is telling you he wants you to do what he says.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Could you add some more details? Does he lunge at you when you feed him, does he eye pin when he growls? He could be testing his place in the flock pecking order or just be enjoying his meal. How often do you feed him? Is this a new thing?