• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growing up or food?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt is turning 4 this November and just lately he seems to be going through a very hyperactive, impulsive, in ya face and often uncooperative stage.

Just wondering if others who have raised macaws from babies have seen this kind of behaviour in their birds too and it’s a normal part of maturing or if maybe it has to do with the foods I feed.

His energy levels seem exactly the same as always (non stop on the move and into everything) but he’s kinda been a little crazy and sometimes unpredictable :laugh:

I’m not complaining at all simply because I think he’s just adorable and perfect even after pinching me, crushing my fingers, giving me a few serious bruises from smashing into me and a wicked blood nose but I feel I should double check that it’s fairly normal or find out if it’s not for them to become so erratic and unpredictable

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Jogging around the block
I like to bump things, even if they are new :lol:

I'm not 100% sure if you mean Mac as in Macaw or the laptop, but I sit on this laptop for hours every night because this is the most interesting part of the internet to me :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd say it's a growing up stage. You may see more than one.

Chaos is now 21 years of age.
He's gone through 4 main stages.
First sweet, lie in my arms, gentle loving baby. Up to about 2 years.
Then rough and tumble, get in trouble baby. at about 4-5 years.
Next was rebellious, challenging bluffing big bird stage. Hit at about 6-9 years.
Then the hardest at about 12 years and was very hard to handle for about 2-3 years. Full adult hormonal macaw.
Now at 21 we've settled into a calmer with rules and limits I follow, but still at times unpredictable macaw.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Becky is pretty right on.

Korbel and Maui were angels until about 3.
3-5 years old I wanted to lay on the floor and let them take over. OMG they were so naughty all the time. ( insert Sam also )
8-9 Korbel went through a wicked stage where he loved Joe and I needed to bleed. Of course he still loves Joe but he quit bothering to threaten me about it.
Maui and Sam bounce back and forth about who their favorite person is. Right now Maui is mine and Sam is Joe's. Sam is in the full male not using his head stage. Very erratic with me and I let Joe & joey do most of his handling.
Right now mine are all 10. Well Sam is 10 and Korbel and Maui are almost 10. Things are pretty laid back as long as I give Sam his distance, Don't get in between Maui and the girls, and don't kiss my husband in front of Korbel. :laugh: While I can still do all of these things it can provoke anger. Reading this is sounds like I'm hands off with the boys but I'm not. I can grab any of them and smush all over them but sometimes not in front of Joe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He’s growing up and just getting started. :lol: