• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growing out of scritches

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Both my birds used to enjoy being scratched on the back of the neck, cheeks, head. Now, no more :grumpy: they are obsessed with my hands, I can cup them in if I need to keep them from flying, they are happy to land or step up. They like being close, love kisses, but when I go to scratch (Wally especially) on the back of the head, he yells at me. Like a very vocal “stop.”

I don’t know if that’s because he is riled up and he generally likes to be pet when sleepy, but he seems as if he is never tired. And if he is, he chooses to sit on the curtain and sleep. They associate us with lots of playing, flying, and food. Or I don’t know if it’s because they have each other and are sick of the preening. Like they don’t want that from me. Those are my two thoughts. I miss them cuddling in my crevices and snoozing off. I can’t complain, I have a great active relationship with them but they don’t spend their down time with me. Do your young independent birds ever come back and become cuddly again? How do I promote a balance of down time and play time. They are always on hardcore play time with us and obsessed with what I’m doing. Even after hours of flying, they are still rambunctious. They can wear you out! But I love my little balls of energy:xflove:

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Hobs goes through stages where he’s super into playing hard and really active with little interest in being snuggly. But then one day he’ll flip and cuddle and want scratches. I figure it’s just like kids, they test out independence at times but they always want mom and dad in the end.