• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growing greens indoors

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
I live in Minnesota. How difficult is it to grow greens indoors using artificial lights? How cost effective versus at grocery store?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I live in Minnesota. How difficult is it to grow greens indoors using artificial lights? How cost effective versus at grocery store?
When I was living in PA and NY I was able to grow some plants indoors under artificial light, but the light was nearly 350$ at the time. And to be honest pests ended up being the real problem. I had an outbreak of aphids that I couldn't get under control indoors. In the summer I kept the potted plants on the fire escape, so I imagine the aphids came from there but when they were outdoors natural predators ate the aphids up. In Australia it is easy for me to grow anything, but it was very tricky indoors in climates that were so cloudy.

If your main motivation is for cost savings, I am not sure home grown indoor are cheaper. If your motivation is safe for your parrots and pesticide free, well yes!

When I was living in PA I had joined a farmers co'op. That was awesome! We got a delivery each week directly from the farm of whatever was in season. Back in Australia, I now get a weekly delivery from a place called Farmer's Gate. If you can find a farm share to get involved with it is not only cheaper than grocers (since they are usually wholesale) but they are also much nicer quality. That said in MN I image there will be seasonal variability, but it is worth a shot :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I remember a while ago some of the members here were dabbling with hydrogardens. They had great success growing several leafy crops and even (iirc) Pepper's for their birds/themselves. I myself have a grow light fixed under one of my kitchen units so I can start the year's chillies early.
I wonder what happened to those hydrogardeners??
IMG20211023083459.jpg

ETA: I've made a quick forum search and had no results.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think I was the first to start talking regularly about hydroponics and the brand Aerogarden, then @saroj12 jumped in with both feet so you might search some of her posts.
I still do it because Colorado has long winters and I hate buying greens at the grocery. We've had temps outdoors in the low 20s at night for weeks so I am actually up and running and have the plants in one Aerogarden at a stage to harvest now.
The Sprout is the least expensive model and using 2 in rotation and my own seed (that I also use for outdoor garden in summer) works well. I've found in the larger models, like the Harvest, I cannnot use all the spaces as it becomes too crowded, so 2 Sprouts works best. Plants can start harvesting at 3 weeks, and bolt by 3 months. The advantage is that you don't waste money on greens going bad in the fridge, you pick and use. Greens would be $5 a week to buy at the store and only last one week. So to buy 2 Sprouts at $140 total doesn't take long to pay for itself. I have been using mine for 4 or 5 years now.

I have never had any pest problems but I never ever bring plants in from outdoors.
The lights are quite bright so it is best if they are not in or near any sleeping areas as the photoperiod length is not adjustable on the Sprout meaning you get to choose the time they come on but not when they go off.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
It was a fad for me. I now have 4 just sitting around collecting dust.