• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grooming Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpolliard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leroy
Ask yourself, does your groomer provide sanitary conditions? Are they sanitizing the tools and work area between groomings? Are clean towels used if your bird is toweled?

I realized my exotic bird shop was not providing a safe environment for my companion bird. They groom a large number of birds each day. I wonder how many sick birds are brought into the shop. I only thought about this issue after witnessing Chico's last beak grooming and the amount of bio material flying off the Dremel tool. I have decided that self grooming at home is the only safe method. Today my daughter and I were successful at grooming his beak with less stress to Chico.

Something to think about if you use a groomer.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Grooming seems to be a bit of an American fad! A healthy bird should not need any kind of grooming to its beak, and very infrequent (if ever) nail trims. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Grooming seems to be a bit of an American fad! A healthy bird should not need any kind of grooming to its beak, and very infrequent (if ever) nail trims. :)
I've noticed this too! Especially with beaks, it seems really unnecessary in 99% of situations. Jingo and Koopa have only had their nails trimmed twice since they've been with me (over a year for one and almost a year for the other!)

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I've never trimmed my tiel's nails or beaks, not the two I have now or the ones I had years ago. Never needed it.

Lots of varied surfaces to perch and walk on, and lots things to chew and play with.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
If I don't have Holly's nails trimmed every 4 months or so, they are like needlepoint daggers. Here nails grow long and thin. But to answer the original questions, yes, mine do sanitize, change towels, etc. Mine are mobile, and do the grooming right here. We do not do wings...but they offer that and beaks too.
I have even spoken to them and I can get my own tools that they just would use when they come here.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth

after seeing how short the vets insist on trimming nails, i refuse to let anyone trim my birds' nails... or beaks for that matter. i have had to knock the tip off some of skittles' nails and marley has a back nail that curls too much and has to be trimmed on occasion.... i've noticed that one of caleb's is doing this too. but i think generally speaking, that vets try to keep nails too short. since i quit trimming nails on my fids they almost never fall. they have a nice grip, but i also taught them to gently hold on to me. they trust that i will move carefully so they dont fall, so they dont have to use their 'grip of steel'. if a toenail jabs me, i will say the word 'toenail' three times quickly and they reposition their foot for me or loosen their grip.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I finally started doing it myself, it is traumatizing for me but at least I know it is safe. I definitely have to trim them though, the macaws nails get SHARP, like needles, and I would have such bloody arms and shoulders. Paco's nails are not sharp but they are so long, and when they get long he gets annoyed and starts chewing them down himself, making them sharp.

I have never had their beaks trimmed, I think it should only be done if the beak is overgrown. Imagine how scary that would be, getting your teeth dremelled down!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Pete came to me needing beak and nail grooming. Partly a poor diet and partly no toys to chew. I had his beak done twice and his nails 3 times. I think his fatty liver may also be affecting his nail growth.

I had the vet do him each time and yes, they keep everything sanitary.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Nicky the Sun Conure has never had to have his beak done, but his nails must be done every 3-4 months. Next time they're done, I'll ask about the sanitation issue.:huh:

Thank you for the heads-Up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.