• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greys and other birds?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
After reading through the good, the bad, and the ugly.. I see a lot of you mentioned that your greys do not like other birds much.

Does that tend to be a typical problem for a grey?

I'm trying to get a Pionus, but a TAG is our current second choice (Amazon third), so I want to prepare for the negatives of each.
I already have two budgies I love to bits. They are pretty independent and I don't think they would have any problem with another bird coming along, but they are fully flighted too and I don't want to hinder their quality of life

I know ANY birds can have issues getting along and I need to be prepared to potentially keep them separate but still get their exercise and attention..
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here with a grey has tiny birds like the budgies, and how badly does the grey not like them?

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My Quaker parrot Ralph is a little bigger than a Budgie, but he and my adopted CAG Scooter get along fine. Scooter likes him and learned to say his name and she talks to him quite often. She seems to recognize that Ralph is "first parrot" (he was here before Scooter) and understands that he gets food and treats before she does. If I do give her a treat before Ralph gets his, she waits for him to get a treat before eating hers. Very polite. :) They get separate out-of-cage time. Though they get along well, that couldn't be guaranteed if they were out at the same time. Much easier for me that way too so I can give each of them my undivided attention.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I can't help with your query, but...

I think you should go for the pionus. If you want a pionus, then you should do all you can to try to get one. I'm not sure having a list of first, second and third is a good idea. If you want a pionus, get a pionus. If you want a grey, get a grey. If you want an amazon, get an amazon.

Get what you want, not something you don't feel the same way about.

Just my thoughts

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
The Pionus, African Grey, and Amazon's all have different personalities, temperaments, etc.. so I think it's a great idea that you have a few in mind so you can prepare yourself as much as possible if you find a certain species won't be a good fit.
Pionus are usually easygoing, gentle, and quiet. They have a tendency to be standoffish with strangers, but usually form a strong bond with a single person in the household.
African Grey's typically end up being one-person-birds, so it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't fans of other pets. As you've probably read, they need extra attention because they can easily become bored and stressed out leading to plucking. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing an African Grey and budgies time outside of the cage together; the size difference alone would make me very nervous. You mentioned your budgies are fully flighted, so be extremely cognizant of the fact that they could land on the African Grey's cage. Side note in case it's a deciding factor, they're not known to be cuddly birds.
Lastly, like you already mentioned - no two birds are guaranteed to get along so regardless of which bird you get you could have very different results than someone else with the same birds.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just as a warning: Greys shouldn't be kept with New World species like Amazons or Pionus. Their powder down is very fine and will aggravate New World birds' respiratory systems. You must bear this in mind if you ever want to expand your flock.

As for Pionus...Leia went to parrot boarding last summer and when I asked how she was with other birds, they commented "hmm, well...she doesn't like to share". Make of that what you will!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@tka is right.
Please read this for your general education and for the health of any bird you may get. Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome is real and happens over a period of time. Several of our members have lost a bird to this deadly disease.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Ali - maybe you can give me more advice on this :) I have so much trouble with "only get the bird you want" because I want them all!

I know it always seems like I have a really eclectic list, but I go around in circles trying to pick THE one and honestly I feel like I would be okay with any of them.

I used to be a preschool teacher and was working on becoming a special ed teacher, but ended up changing careers due to financial reasons for my family. Psychology (animal, Human, whatever) is still a huge passion of mine. I also volunteer with foster kids and would probably be a foster parent but the reasons why I'm not are a whole other story.
All this to say - I have dealt alot with kids who have different behavioral and emotional issues, and I still loved them all so much I would have brought any of them home with me.
Besides just caring about people and animals of all kinds, there is just something fundamentally satisfying to me about the whole process of working through extra challenges with someone/something.

1. I picked Pionus to top the list because of all the evidence that they MAY come out pretty mellow and sociable, and might even talk. From everything I read, I think they *might* have the best chance of not outright trying to attack the budgies.. even though I will still be very very careful with this and not let them fly together. I'd just hope that they can peacefully exist in the same room, but if not we have options.
Otherwise they are beautiful and the only bird I've seen and felt a "click" with so far was a pionus.. but then.. he's the only pionus I met.
If we find a pionus it will likely be a baby, because I still haven't heard of any in the shelter around here.

2. African Grey keeps cropping up, despite the dust, because my bf wants one. I think they are very cool too. I initially ruled them out due to the dust, nervousness, etc, but that was mostly out of respect for the budgies and my bf. But he keeps saying he doesnt mind any of the potential issues - even if it only likes me and attacks him. He just likes them best for some reason and would enjoy talking to it even from the cage. It does sway me a bit because I think they are awesome too and I know *I* could deal with the extra challenges.
If we get one of these it might be a baby.. I'd have a few years to plan for puberty.. but if we find the right one I'd be glad to adopt too.

3. I know Amazon's are completely different personalities than either of the two above, louder and bolder and rambunctious.. but then again, my budgies are really independent and a big part of me would not mind a bird that needed more of me and actively played with me. There are also a TON of them in the shelters and I would most definitely adopt one and not get a baby.

I literally see so many human foster kids taken in because they seem sweet and cute, and then they get confrontational or do something the parent was already informed they have a history of doing.. and they get kicked out.
So no matter what bird ends up in my house I am very strongly of the mind that you do NOT give up. You get creative and find a way to make it work!

And whichever bird ends up with me will be the end of our little flock unless I win the lottery and can have an aviary as my sole time commitment lol.
No matter what I think is cute or fun, it would not be fair to try to divide my attention between more than 3 birds (kind of two since the budgies are such a unit).
I just know that I have more to give right now, and want to go ahead and give it :(

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
@tka is right.
Please read this for your general education and for the health of any bird you may get. Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome is real and happens over a period of time. Several of our members have lost a bird to this deadly disease.

Thank you. I had previously ruled out any powder birds because I DONT want to possibly bother the budgies with dust, but my bf keeps pushing the grey and saying he is okay with the measures we might have to take. They are the only powder birds I would consider because their other attributes can be so awesome it would be "worth it".
But yeah, this is a concern of mine and a big reason they are not my "first choice".

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Ali - maybe you can give me more advice on this :) I have so much trouble with "only get the bird you want" because I want them all!

I know it always seems like I have a really eclectic list, but I go around in circles trying to pick THE one and honestly I feel like I would be okay with any of them.

I used to be a preschool teacher and was working on becoming a special ed teacher, but ended up changing careers due to financial reasons for my family. Psychology (animal, Human, whatever) is still a huge passion of mine. I also volunteer with foster kids and would probably be a foster parent but the reasons why I'm not are a whole other story.
All this to say - I have dealt alot with kids who have different behavioral and emotional issues, and I still loved them all so much I would have brought any of them home with me.
Besides just caring about people and animals of all kinds, there is just something fundamentally satisfying to me about the whole process of working through extra challenges with someone/something.

1. I picked Pionus to top the list because of all the evidence that they MAY come out pretty mellow and sociable, and might even talk. From everything I read, I think they *might* have the best chance of not outright trying to attack the budgies.. even though I will still be very very careful with this and not let them fly together. I'd just hope that they can peacefully exist in the same room, but if not we have options.
Otherwise they are beautiful and the only bird I've seen and felt a "click" with so far was a pionus.. but then.. he's the only pionus I met.
If we find a pionus it will likely be a baby, because I still haven't heard of any in the shelter around here.

2. African Grey keeps cropping up, despite the dust, because my bf wants one. I think they are very cool too. I initially ruled them out due to the dust, nervousness, etc, but that was mostly out of respect for the budgies and my bf. But he keeps saying he doesnt mind any of the potential issues - even if it only likes me and attacks him. He just likes them best for some reason and would enjoy talking to it even from the cage. It does sway me a bit because I think they are awesome too and I know *I* could deal with the extra challenges.
If we get one of these it might be a baby.. I'd have a few years to plan for puberty.. but if we find the right one I'd be glad to adopt too.

3. I know Amazon's are completely different personalities than either of the two above, louder and bolder and rambunctious.. but then again, my budgies are really independent and a big part of me would not mind a bird that needed more of me and actively played with me. There are also a TON of them in the shelters and I would most definitely adopt one and not get a baby.

I literally see so many human foster kids taken in because they seem sweet and cute, and then they get confrontational or do something the parent was already informed they have a history of doing.. and they get kicked out.
So no matter what bird ends up in my house I am very strongly of the mind that you do NOT give up. You get creative and find a way to make it work!

And whichever bird ends up with me will be the end of our little flock unless I win the lottery and can have an aviary as my sole time commitment lol.
No matter what I think is cute or fun, it would not be fair to try to divide my attention between more than 3 birds (kind of two since the budgies are such a unit).
I just know that I have more to give right now, and want to go ahead and give it :(
Ok. Well you've just COMPLETELY thrown me off my earlier statement. I think, if you have any rescues near you, that is how you should choose which bird you get. I think you seem like that sort of person. Go an visit some birds and see what feels right. Maybe you'll fall in love with a bird you had never even considered!!

Keep us updated. I hope this goes well for you, whatever you decide.

Ali

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Ok. Well you've just COMPLETELY thrown me off my earlier statement. I think, if you have any rescues near you, that is how you should choose which bird you get. I think you seem like that sort of person. Go an visit some birds and see what feels right. Maybe you'll fall in love with a bird you had never even considered!!

Keep us updated. I hope this goes well for you, whatever you decide.

Ali
Thank you for the compliment :)
My big flaw is I'm impatient to start lol.
I sooo want to go to the rescue and wander amongst the birds and just let one pick me. But none of the rescues will let you right now
:(
Have to determine which bird you are interested in meeting, and then meet them *virtually*.
Blaah.
I've been waiting for better circumstances but I suspect it's not going to get better for a long time.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Well as of today (bird fair) we're on a no obligation waiting list for a BH from an aviary 6 hours away from us.
There is also a just weaned Timneh available from a good store 3 hours away from us, which was kind of what prompted me to ask more questions about greys.

But I think we're going to let that go and just see what naturally unfolds with rescue, etc, with the BH waiting list as a security.