• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey v. Roommate... no contest

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Contenders:
Boo the TAG
Roommate, my friend/housemate

The History:
Peaceful coexistence. Roommate has a juicer he uses daily, and he always gives Boo a little piece of fruit or veg. I suggested he use the opportunity to do some simple training, so now the routine is that Boo steps up, gets a treat, then steps back down onto her cage to eat it. Other than talking to each other in passing, that's basically all the interaction they have most days.

The drama:
Last night, when I was out, roommate noticed Boo on the floor. She looked like she wanted to climb up onto her cage.

Roommate offered her a ride and she willingly stepped up, but when he tried to place her on the cage, she wouldn't step down.

Roommate thought maybe she wanted to be placed higher, on her gym, and moved her in that direction.

Apparently that was NOT what she wanted, because she promptly bit his finger... the one she was standing on.

Roommate, envisioning how much damage that beak could do, reacted, quite understandably, like someone who feared his finger was about to be snapped in two. He shrieked and flinched. Boo fell. Boo got angry.

When I got home, I found Roommate shut in his room with Boo pacing outside his door. He cracked open the door to explain what had happened, and she tried to go in after him.

Thankfully neither is seriously injured, and roommate isn't angry with her. I was able to soothe (and admonish) Boo, and she went willingly back to her cage.

Boo's never done this before, and I had no idea she could hulk out like that. I know it's nothing to encourage, but I have to admit, I find it a little bit hilarious that this ten-inch bird, who cant even fly, basically treed a full-grown man for two hours.

Woe betide anyone who tries to rob this house!

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Easy for me to laugh, wasn’t me on the other side of the door!! :laughing7:

Wonder what set Boo off, and would be scary as those beaks are something else..:wideyed:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Contenders:
Boo the TAG

The History:
Peaceful coexistence. Roommate has a juicer he uses daily, and he always gives Boo a little piece of fruit or veg. I suggested he use the opportunity to do some simple training, so now the routine is that Boo steps up, gets a treat, then steps back down onto her cage to eat it. Other than talking to each other in passing, that's basically all the interaction they have most days.

The drama:
Last night, when I was out, roommate noticed Boo on the floor. She looked like she wanted to climb up onto her cage.

Roommate offered her a ride and she willingly stepped up, but when he tried to place her on the cage, she wouldn't step down.

Roommate thought maybe she wanted to be placed higher, on her gym, and moved her in that direction.

Apparently that was NOT what she wanted, because she promptly bit his finger... the one she was standing on.

Roommate, envisioning how much damage that beak could do, reacted, quite understandably, like someone who feared his finger was about to be snapped in two. He shrieked and flinched. Boo fell. Boo got angry.

When I got home, I found Roommate shut in his room with Boo pacing outside his door. He cracked open the door to explain what had happened, and she tried to go in after him.

Thankfully neither is seriously injured, and roommate isn't angry with her. I was able to soothe (and admonish) Boo, and she went willingly back to her cage.

Boo's never done this before, and I had no idea she could hulk out like that. I know it's nothing to encourage, but I have to admit, I find it a little bit hilarious that this ten-inch bird, who cant even fly, basically treed a full-grown man for two hours.

Does she have a ladder from the floor to her cage? It 2ouod prevent any more roommate disasters :rofl:

Great you have an understanding roommate that didn't take offence!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Wonder what set Boo off, and would be scary as those beaks are something else..:wideyed:
I plan to find out more details today. Question 1 is what was in his other hand. I learned the hard way that Boo HATES cell phones. The only times she has bitten me was when I dared pick her up while holding a phone in my other hand. Took three bites for me to connect the dots.

Other possibility is she was just stressed. After a year of working toward this, as of two days ago, I've actually gotten her to accept a harness, and I took her outside two days in a row. I'm keeping the sessions brief and filled with treats and praise, but the whole thing is an exercise in sensory overload... the harness itself, the sights, the sounds, the breeze, wild birds overhead, grass underfoot. It's a lot to take in, and she's exhausted afterward.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Does she have a ladder from the floor to her cage? It 2ouod prevent any more roommate disasters :rofl:

Great you have an understanding roommate that didn't take offence!

Lol, she can climb her cage without difficulty (generally she comes and goes as she pleases). He just thought maybe she'd like a boost.

Her cage is pretty fun, so she liked hanging out there. This is the most recent setup.

20200823_152525.jpg

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL - Jasper had my G'son (30 years old) trapped in a bathroom. Chased him across the living room and down the hall. He could have gotten out sooner if I hadn't been laughing so hard.

There was no reason - I think she just hates him.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Birds have rules that we'll never understand because they don't work the way we do.
All you have to do is find a homicidal trigger to find out how hulk aggressive they can get. Lurch used to ride into the bathroom with me to take care of business and clean up after work and he'd shriek and bite my neck suddenly. I finally stopped letting him ride in there because I was tired of getting bit.
One day I decided to take one for the team and see what happens. He was kinda looking at the faucet with the water so I put my arm down and he ran down to the faucet and got a bunch of drinks and played with the water. After that I would ask him if he wanted to drink and he knew to wait and I'd let him play with the water. He didn't know how to ask nicely for what he wanted and I had no clue.
I never got bit in there again as we reached a understanding with each other.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Nice setup!
If it doesn't happen regularly now, thank the birdie gods.
Now that she's seen the squeals she can get, it may become a game.
Birds love drama! Good or bad. ;)

I'd have him not offer a finger for awhile, she needs to forget the entertainment he provided. :laugh:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Contenders:
Boo the TAG

The History:

The drama:

Do you think that Boo was waiting for a treat before going back to the cage?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Do you think that Boo was waiting for a treat before going back to the cage?
That was what I thought as soon as i read it. Birds are super specific! Roommate = step up = treat = cage so far Not roommate = step up = no treat = cage

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Tazlima
I know it's nothing to encourage, but I have to admit, I find it a little bit hilarious that this ten-inch bird, who cant even fly, basically treed a full-grown man for two hours.

Try 2 people.

Secret stalked my husband and myself in my kitchen. Stalked. Secret couldn't fly either.

Secret got out of her cage when we first got them. We had a hard time getting her back to her cage. I would get her up on a broom handle, she would charge me while I was holding it..... hubby would grab other end and I would release mine. Bird would turn and charge him. We went back and forth as we attempted to cross a kitchen floor.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@Tazlima
I know it's nothing to encourage, but I have to admit, I find it a little bit hilarious that this ten-inch bird, who cant even fly, basically treed a full-grown man for two hours.

Try 2 people.

Secret stalked my husband and myself in my kitchen. Stalked. Secret couldn't fly either.

Secret got out of her cage when we first got them. We had a hard time getting her back to her cage. I would get her up on a broom handle, she would charge me while I was holding it..... hubby would grab other end and I would release mine. Bird would turn and charge him. We went back and forth as we attempted to cross a kitchen floor.
Holy cow! Glad you had a partner for that bit of wrangling!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Nikki, my CAG who could do no wrong in my eyes, was out on her stand playing and I told my husband who is 6"3 and 245 lbs to keep a eye on her while I took a shower. I was getting out of the shower when I heard screaming I thought someone was hurt or something. I ran out to find my husband on the kitchen trying to pull his legs up while Nikki was saying "Come here buddy." When I saw that I was laughing so hard I couldn't say anything. Nikki looked at me and said to Dave kiss kiss. Nikki would go out of her way to scare Dave. Boy do I miss her.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Holy cow! Glad you had a partner for that bit of wrangling!
Secret is a challenge.

God gave me MC at the same time as Secret. He was my buddy, a sweetheart, another blue front Amazon. MC passed away April 28 from cancer. Because of MC, we know that underneath the crusty exterior Secret presents to the world, there is a sweet bird. Some day I hope to see that version of Secret.