• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey talking

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
First off.. if Coral never talks, thats fine with me. I will love her just the same.

With that said, I know CAGS start talking around a year old, but I want input from real parronts. When did you grey start talking? :)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
My grey is almost 2 and still no words....

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Sorry, can't help there, I got a rehome.

There are a few tricks to try and teach them to speak such as when Dr. Pepperberg would use the model-rival technique, not sure if it will be effective so young.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Coral is 7 months old and have not said an understandable word yet. She does make a weird chatter that strangely sound like my own voice. I'm sure it's coming, but want to know what other's experiences were.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Mumbling and practicing speaking is normal behavior and a good sign. :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Leroy started talking at about six months. (sounds just like talking of our human babies!) She would mumble under her breath and would not understand what she said, then out it would come. Then she would go quiet for about a week and then never stop.
Scooby was talking when she came to us at about four yrs old and she never stops for breath. Once she is on a roll there is no stopping her as well you might like to!
Latest is her saying "what?" after everything you say and you find yourself repeating it to her.
Was giving a repeat prescription order to the GP's receptionist on the phone and she read it back to me to make sure no mistakes. Scooby was right behind me and said her "what?" in the right place.Found the lady repeating the names of the drugs over patiently to me again!
Ended up creased laughing and explained it was the parrot and not me who had spoken! Anyway would not be so rude as to say "what?":LOL:

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I will keep talking to Coral. They are fun to talk to even though mine hasn't started talking back yet. Well she does, but not a human voice :)

Willow's Mommy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
LaVera
Willow started talking at about 6 months old, but really started using alot of words within the last 6 months or so, she is 2 years old now and has a large vocabulary and sounds...wow, she loves to mimic everything and everyone!

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Shiloh really started talking around 9 months old. He is 2 now and has a huge vocabulary.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Rocky is 6 yrs. old and only says a handful of words :rofl:
BUT she just started saying a few new ones just recently at 6 :D So never give up :dance5:
She is a sound effects bird though :hehe:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Birds pic up highly emotional and FUN words the best. Which is why cuss words are often heard, because when a person says them its highly emphasized to what had happened.

So when you serve her breakfats, say emphatheically "MMM" and "YUMMY", with a smile on your face and said fully with emphasis and emotion behind the word :)

But remember, you want your bird to KNOW what its saying, so teach it words and sayings appropriately :)

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Mercedez that is so true. Like Shiloh when I feed him, a lot of times I'll say eat it all up, so now when he sees someone eating he says eat it all up. Or If I get the water bowl, he'll say want some water, or if he sees the dog, he'll say pretty little girl or bark. He relates to what it is.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
If you leave on some programmes when you are out you may come home like me to a new set of sayings! Some not so nice as others I might add.
Repeating the same sentences to them daily in your conversations does work but usually it is the things you say and don't realise you use so much that comes out of their little beaks first!

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Good ideas!

Welshanne: when you say programming, do u mean a radio or a tv? She's in the dining room so no TV, but i can hook up a radio for her.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Radio is great, they like them on quietly in the background though as their hearing is more acute than ours.
When we leave our home, they either have a TV or a radio on as it keeps them company and also makes them think they are not home alone.:rofl:
You then have the added bonus of their talking being given a helping hand while you are elsewhere.
Coral sounds a lovely bird and from what you say will soon be chatting away nineteen to the dozen for you, at you, and with you.:rofl:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
My Toby started talking at
about 6 months. He did the wolf whistle
first. Then he started talking and he hasn't
stopped. You will be amazed at how
appropriate what they say is. I adore my
boy, I know you will love your baby too.

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Be careful what you leave the radio turned too though. My vet made this mistake and now her macaw laughs like Dr. Laura. :lol:

pkquest

Moving in
Gregory started at about 3 months with "Mr Crow" - not saying it but cawing! Loudly! I had him outside gardening and a crow was nearby sounding off...I thought I'd use Dr. Pepperburg's method with Alex and model cawing back and forth with the crow. Greg didn't appear to be impressed but 3 or 4 days later...CAW CAW CAW! His first words were a couple months later..."Want some water?" He sits on the shower rail every morning and I would hold my fingers near his beak and ask him "Want some water?" One day he beat me to it...full out sentence. Never heard him practicing it.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
After being outside in the garden each nice day throughout the Summer my lot come indoors making all the sounds of the wild birds in the garden. Very often the magpies would come around wondering why one of their flock had called them, but it was the Greys! :rofl:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Tuchis TAG started with whistling at about six months and the words slowly started coming at about 9 months. He's nearly 7 years old now and still learns new words. He's hardly the world's greatest talker but he's got a pretty good vocabulary going and will put different phrases together to meet his evil needs. Clancy CAG was a rehome, so I don't know when she started talking but she turned 17 in September and she is also still learning new words. So, when they start might not be as important as asking when they stop!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.