• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey mutation

Ringo77

Checking out the neighborhood
Is the grey mutation exclusive to the green series? Or can you have a blue that is also a grey?

I just got a blue that appears to have a violet mutation but is somewhat grey. Maybe it just has a dark factor?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
I do believe that a grey bird only appears grey in a blue series bird. In green the bird should simply look like a dull olive colour.

Ringo77

Thank you. That makes sense. So a visual grey bird is really a blue bird with the grey mutation. My bird must be a blue bird with grey and violet or blue with violet and a dark factor.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I've seen grey-green ringnecks.
Though perhaps they are the turquoise series bird? The green ends up on them in the same places it would be on a blue bird when the bird is turquoise.
So 'grey' is possible in both blue and turquoise series birds.

1695788818830.png

Your bird appears to be violet though. How old is it?

Last edited:

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
Well a green parrot's colour is an illusion made by the combo of a grey base with a tiydell effect and yellow. So the grey mutation is the removal of the tydell effect. So most of the colour mutations are not the addition of colour but a subtraction so a green bird can be grey but it will only look like the colour grey to the eye where the yellow of the bird is missing. The grey and green on that bird is my guess if its caused by a grey mutation is caused by a second mutation that is causing yellow to disapear on some parts of the bird. I have only read a little of the book as it is dificult reading but the book a guide to colour mutations and genetics in parrots has a lot of generalized information on mutations.

a normal green parrot -> grey, tydell effect, yellow
a blue parrot -> grey, tydell effect
a grey -> grey

I do agree that the parrot is likely not a grey or at least has other effects. I do not know much of anything about ring neck mutations as they are not a species I have considered keeping.

Ringo77

I've seen grey-green ringnecks.
Though perhaps they are the turquoise series bird? The green ends up on them in the same places it would be on a blue bird when the bird is turquoise.
So 'grey' is possible in both blue and turquoise series birds.

View attachment 434791

Your bird appears to be violet though. How old is it?
Thanks for the info. She is 7 months old.