• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey lining and enlarged droppings

Jordan5207

Checking out the neighborhood
For a couple of weeks my 7 month old female budgie has had droppings which are larger than normal (I think) and some have had a grey mucous lining to them which can give some of them a light grey appearance but underneath is the regular green / brown. They were looser as well but they have firmed up since then. It was worse in the beginning but now the mucous is maybe 1 line along the tubular shape and not every one. The droppings seem larger but maybe they always were and I am seeing the size difference compared to my male who is much larger but his are half the size and more frequent.

This started around 2 days after quarantine was over for the male and I had them in the same cage. His are regular and dark brown / green and I think eats more pellets than she does. Hers are normally green and prefers the seed mix. No luck yet with vegetables - why do they seem so terrifying? :facepalm: She is quite clingy and follows the male around the cage always wanting to be close almost courting him. They do feed each other and it's possible she is quite hormonal. She is also at the end of a moult. Other than that she is very active, always playing and has a good appetite. I did see her rubbing her vent when getting out one of her larger morning droppings one time. Her vent is completely clear and I cant see any evidence of egg binding.

I took her to the vet (general) which is the only option in this area and the vet did not detect anything unusual. Today I'm handing in a fecal sample which I think will be sent to the nearest suitable vet (given it will cost £100) - they wont do bloods so that is my only option in regards to testing. He just recommended some vitamin supplements so I bought Vetark avimix.

This is how they look:

IMG_20210723_115349.jpg
This is probably the worst one that I saw.

IMG_20210721_143554.jpg
Most were more like this. However, many have no grey lining at all and some days there is nothing.

Weirdly the past 2 days her droppings have been a very light brown (tan almost) colour. She has been eating her iodine / mineral block more so I'm assuming it could be that + the vitamin supplement which I will not give her for another week.

Posting this so I can share what comes back from the tests. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
7 months is quite early to be exhibiting true hormonal behaviour. Most likely it is teenage behaviour. To be honest I'm not really seeing anything to worry about in her droppings either. A moult can certainly explain the droppings as can having a cagemate introduced. I would not worry.

Jordan5207

Thank you for the response! She certainly is a bit of a teenager - going from quiet, sweet and accepting head scratches to treating my hands like a kabob. Still seeing the same kind of droppings and no word yet from the vets. Shall update once I hear the results of the tests. She does seem to have occasional dried brown (I presume discharge) on one nostril that has happened occasionally. But I think its just her getting some bits of seed stuck in there.

Jordan5207

Update: The test did not come back with anything. Since they are a general vet they will not do bloods but I would prefer to avoid that anyway due to the dangers. Droppings are on and off still the same so that is around a month now. But again, she is as feisty as ever and I will just have to assume this is her new normal :).