• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Grey in awful shape, advice please?

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
5610.jpeg This is the picture I was sent this morning.

IMAG1212.jpg I clipped her nails last night, here's one foot
IMAG1211.jpg
And the other. I dislike that leg band.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Poor lil girlie ..sending tons of hugs for you ,your friend and this beautiful lil girl ..best of luck with her :)

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
What size Roudybush and zupreem should she have? I know with my smaller birds, it's always a size smaller than they recommend.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What size Roudybush and zupreem should she have? I know with my smaller birds, it's always a size smaller than they recommend.
Zupreem natural you can soak to make softer.

I feed my zon's medium.

Contact the manufacturers in the morning and ask if they have sample packets for sizes they can send out and watch to see what the bird likes. If they don't have them available, pm me before noon tomorrow. I'm going to Varietees.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Zupreem natural you can soak to make softer.

I feed my zon's medium.

Contact the manufacturers in the morning and ask if they have sample packets for sizes they can send out and watch to see what the bird likes. If they don't have them available, pm me before noon tomorrow. I'm going to Varietees.

Medium? Okay. The problem is getting her switched, so it needs to be fruit blend. It's just transitional.

Try rigging rodent straw mats with zip ties as flat perches, they have enough consistency that a bird can hold on but aren't as hard as a wood perch. Something like this - Marshall Small Animal Woven Grass Mat | Toys & Habitat Accessories | PetSmart - which I've used for my Quaker with splayed legs.

You are a genus! The more perch choices she has, th better!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@SweetAmber just so you know, those pellets don't have fruit in them. They're just a dye from what I've read and the colors have to be processed through the birds internal organs. For a sickly bird, I'd try to convert to natural pellets.

I'm tagging @Macawnutz because she knows a ton of stuff.

The Zupreem can also be softened. If you want to be adding fruity stuff, maybe add unsweetened organic juice to the pellet to soften it. I believe tart cherry juice (organic is out there in most every grocery store now) has benefits for gout and other conditions.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I was also going to suggest cork perches because of the rough/uneven surface. Not flat or slippery like a wood perch (not meaning to diss wood perches) but something that can be gripped by a handicapped foot because of the nooks and crannies (also used with my Quaker girl and and elderly tiel).

Food wise consider trying some of the Higgins Worldly Cuisines which you cook and are like a mash.

Last edited:

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Hmm. I knew the fruit blend wasn't great, but it was always the easiest transition pellet for my guys... Granted, the biggest bird I've done this way was a cheeky when I still worked at Petsmart. The eventual brand I think will be roudybush. I wish TOPs was a tad less!

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
I was also going to suggest cork perches because of the rough/uneven surface. Not flat or slippery like a wood perch (not meaning to diss wood perches) but something that can be gripped by a handicapped foot because of the nooks and crannies (also used with my Quaker girl and and elderly tiel).
Cork? I never thought of that! Yes, diss wood perches! I actually dislike them unless they have naturally.. I think the word would be abrasive bark. Smooth branches are as bad as a dowel rod!

Nice to hear about the elderly tiel, by the way. So few live that long!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Elderly tiel Sunny is 23 years young this year - his breeder was listed with the Cockatiel Society here in IL but hasn't been active for years.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Elderly tiel Sunny is 23 years young this year - his breeder was listed with the Cockatiel Society here in IL but hasn't been active for years.
32 years, wow! That's absolutely amazing! I imagine he's quite the character!

On another note, thanks for all the help so far guys. This girl just has to get better!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
As for keeping warm, our birds have K&H Sanded Thermo Perches in their cages . If the bird is able to perch, they get more heat through their feet than through their feathers, but they also make a Snuggle Up Bird Warmer for the side of the cage. The cords are wire-wrapped for safety.

If you go with the perch option, the sanded version offers a grippier texture & heats more evenly than the smooth one and the pebbles are coated so they are not sharp.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Not my bird. I repeat, not my bird! I was called by a family friend, she had been given a grey and she seemed upset. I got there and was... Shocked. The story was an elderly lady no longer could care for the bird. Supposedly Samantha was 16 and at one time a breeder. She came in a nasty, poopy cardboard box. The small cage with her was solid rust.

The bird herself is badly plucked on her breast. The feathers on her rump, up to between her wings are light colored, almost white. The tail feathers are banged up, looking like barbering and poor nutrition. The bird can not fly. My overall impression of the bird is she is weak, and slightly underweight. She is missing the two back toes on both feet, with the from claws being extremely overgrown even after I clipped them. The bird can not fly, possibly from weakness and lack of exercise. The bird can not stand, her feet ball up and her legs are splayed. Old owner claimed arthritis.

Most disturbingly, her owner apparently fed her fried chicken and egg yolk.

Now I have her set up at her new owners house, in a larger round cage I scrounged up until we can order her a cage. She wanted to climb, but can't seem to so we moved everything into the bottom of the cage. She's on blank newspaper. I prepared a roudybush mash (with food coloring) some chopped carrots and a few seeds to tempt her to eat. I had to leave before I could see how that turned out, it was past dark. I had her set up in another room from her other two birds, with strict quarantine instructions!

Any advice? I want to help save this bird. She will be taken to the vet, just not this week.
How can I make the bird comfortable?
She has an old, round leg band that probably needs removed... But would the numbers off of it help ID the breeder? Is there a way to find the breeder?
It's possible I may end up with the bird, even if I don't I'll do much of the work rehabbing her.
Thank you for your time, I hope the little one makes it!

Edit: Ignore typos, I am half drunk of sleep deprivation.
IF it hasn't already been said, that bird needs to go to an Avian Vet who can guide you on its care.
Sounds like there are many medical things going on and it and the new owner for sure needs professional advise.
That bird could be suffering with pain from past injuries, lung infections, gastric issues, vitamin deficiencies. Likely needs to get strong for any tests that are coming his way.
Feed him Harrison's Recovery by spoon, as much as he will eat.
My two cents.
:(

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So very sad to see a fid in that condition! What is wrong with people! :bash:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How is she doing?Any improvement?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She will not get her feet caught? Maybe beach towels?

Owner said she was 16. I do not honestly know, I am displeased with the condition of the bird! She's not my bird, I did convince the lady how vital a vet visit was, I explained how it could kill her birds and she couldn't have birds for a long time if she messed up. She took me seriously, she just can not take her at the moment with school starting and her work. It's not good timing. Flat perches? I can see about making a few for her. I'll do what I must!

Tuesday we will sit down and order some things, I was thinking puzzle toys, a boing and zupreem fruit blend to get the bird onto pellets.
If she cannot afford the care, try to contact the parrot posse and explain the situation. They have helped so many people like this...The Parrot Posse Public Group | Facebook