• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey Headed Cape Parrot

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
IMG_5626.PNG IMG_5616.JPG I just purchased an 18 month old (seller unsure of exact age and rumor has it that this shop owner told another customer this bird was 4 years old) Gray Headed Cape yesterday (rehome from a pet shop). I went to the Parrot Store to look a another bird, but noticed the beauty and gentleness of this guy and had to have him. He was so friendly to me the moment we met, stepping up and allowing me to pet him. The owner said that his is one of the friendliest parrots he has ever had. This is a not a medium sized bird as some describe it in my opinion. He is medium/large. His nails are clipped and he mildly scratches up my hands/wrists every time I hold him due to his weight. Powerful talons! I had thoughts of those falconers with the long gloves, lol. That being said, after 24 hours he is more used to me so doesn't grip as hard. He is so gentle that it almost seems like he is moving in slow motion. He doesnt try to chew this wood perch he is on at all. He doesn't appear to be nippy or bite-- if he wants me to stop petting him, he will nudge me away using that huge beak. He has nibbled on my finger--not sure if that is a sign of affection or what but I try to ignore and discourage. Last evening when he was alone in a room I overheard him talking. Unbelievable. He said "How are you?" and said some other stuff I couldn't decipher. He won't talk in front of me. So far, he has made only one sound on the loud side in 24 hours but has been extremely quiet. He sits on this perch for hours, grabbing some seeds or broccoli/grapes now and then. This is a truly beautiful and impressive creature. I hope he keeps these habits and this personality. Any advice on how to figure out his age (he is banded) and keep up this great personality would be great. This is a photo I took yesterday.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations. He is beautiful. What is his name? What are the numbers and letters on the band?

BTW, welcome to AA.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats! Your new fid is beautiful!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:He is beautiful. His band could lead to a breeder & it could also have a year on it.
I guess in parrot year 2 or 4 isn't too much of a difference. Just be patient with him & go at his pace.
Could be he is new so is quiet but it could be his personality.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:smileflower:

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! Still working on the name. I like "Blackjack," but other family members don't... I'll have to check the band again but it did not have a date on it. It had the letters "XL" written sideways. I'll check when he wakes up tomorrow. It's so wonderful to have a forum to share these experiences.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Crazy question. When I tried to upload a photo for my avatar, it rejected the smallest file that I could email from my iPhone because it was over 50MB. It allowed larger size photos in the thread but not for the avatar. I don't think my iPhone does a photo below 50.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess he is medium if you compare him to macaws but he's a big in the poi family.
You were lucky to find him in a pet shop as they are not that common.
I have heard they have a good language ability.

Avatars need smaller size so you might have to use software to reduce its size

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your new bird is adorable. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome! He is just beautiful. :heart:
Congrats!
:welave:

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Your lucky to have him. We have 2 brown necks that are total opposite of him! BTW I'm no expert, but he looks like a brown necked cape. If your interested.... facebook has a great private group called cape parrots.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is beautiful.

lgrikki

Strolling the yard
Beautiful fid!! :welave:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He's a very nice bird! When I raised I banded my babies. I would order the bands with my initials, abbreviation for the state and the last two digits of the year. So my bands would have read like this: AME SC 09 … ( for 2009) Of course all breeders are different in how they band their birds.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Welcome, he is a beautiful bird :)

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Welcome!! I LOVE cape parrots, they are my favorite by far! He is such a cutie. Good luck with him!

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all so much and especially for the Facebook info on Cape Parrots