• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

grey adoption question

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Hey everyone I'm back after quite a long time sorry for not posting sooner. So there is a guy here in my town that own a congo, grey and recently the old man that he was attatched to died so he's quite depresive and on top of that they have to move somewhere where they cant take her/him with and he is tame but since the old man died like I said he's gone into a depresive state. So my question is will he get used to me or will he remain deprsive and will he be ok after a while thanks a lot

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im sure given time he will get use to you and even share a bond with you ...as long as you give him time and go at his pace you should do well :)

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Oh and will it be better to keep her wings kliped for a while so that I can let her out for a bit to get used to me

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks a lot will definitely look into that link you gave me do you maybe know if I should klip her wings at first

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
There is a huge debate over clipping ...I wouldn't just because it takes so long for them to grow back and at some point you are going to want to be able to let her fly ...:)

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks a lot @Tyrion so should I let her out for a bit in a day or what should I do sorry im asking so much questions that just my style I do a lot of research before diving head first with no knowledge

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
This is almost the same exact story with Milton, our U2. His mourning period for his previous owner continued for the first three years that he was with us. The key is to take it easy, and let he/she grieve.

Like @Hankmacaw , I'm concerned about the dust that Greys have and the effect it has on Macaws...

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks every one I will take it slow as you recommend and no I have not got a macaw yet. Will it help if I get an air filter

themacaw

Walking the driveway
Ok just found out that they will be taking the grey with them they found a place that is pet friendly so thanks everyone . I will be looking to buy or adopt another bir then I guess thanks a lot

Marcella

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marcella
This is almost the same exact story with Milton, our U2. His mourning period for his previous owner continued for the first three years that he was with us. The key is to take it easy, and let he/she grieve.

Like @Hankmacaw , I'm concerned about the dust that Greys have and the effect it has on Macaws...
@cassiesdad - poor Milton. I know how he felt. Still in mourning for my dog (Oct. 29th) and my caique (Nov. 24th) - it's incredibly tough losing a beloved companion.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@cassiesdad - poor Milton. I know how he felt. Still in mourning for my dog (Oct. 29th) and my caique (Nov. 24th) - it's incredibly tough losing a beloved companion.
I can understand why Milt grieved for so long. His former owner really did an exceptional job raising him. It's all relative, if you think about it. Bringing Milty into our family helped me so much in my grieving process with Cassie, and I'd like to think that I helped him a little, also.

Losing two companions within such a short time has to be extremely painful...:sadhug2: