• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greetings

MrEggJnr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lee
Hello to anyone reading this. I'm very new to this site and bird keeping. I didn't know where to post the one question I have

I recently bought 2 Budgies or Parakeets ( I know some people call them one or the other ). Kumo (Male) and Yuki (female)

I was told that kumo is still young and can not fly, they have been in their cage for almost 3 days now and Yuki has been flying every so often and chirping away while Kumo kinda just sits on his perch chirps every now and then. I'm a bit worried about him as he has tried flying/gliding around but kinda just falls while flapping his wings. Will he hurt himself this way? Some of his feathers have been uh whats the word? skew? as in no straight on his wing? kinda poking out?. I think he has one flight feather on his right wing but i'm not to sure.
I'm not too worried about Yuki as she seems older. I have been watching a few vids online about keeping Budgies / Parakeets and have been taking things slow and talking/singing to them quietly.

:) Thank you to anyone willing to answer or even read this
IMG_20200702_141444.jpg
<---- Kumo and Yuki ----> IMG_20200702_143420.jpg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Welcome to the avenue!

You have some beautiful birds! Do you know how old Kumo is? He is definitely young. It may just have moved out of place? Does it look broken at all from under the wing? I love the names by the way!

@Lady Jane @Ripshod @Shezbug @Kiwi's Mom might have an idea.

Sorry I took so long to reply, I didn't want to tell you something wrong, so thought I would give some others a chance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

young and can not fly
He has no flight feathers, apart from one on his right wing, so he will not be able to fly until they regrow.

Those stripy feathered look barbered. Likely by a sibling or who ever he was living with at the store/breeders place.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It does look kind of like that, the lack of flight feathers makes me worry about the posibility of PBFD.
The wing looks to been sitting further forward than Yaki, despite the fact they are very similar stances otherwise

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like either his jealous siblings have been having a go at him (he is so gorgeous) and/or the breeder or the seller maybe plucked his flights to tidy him up for sale.
If you're not too attached to him you can take him back for another.
Or if you're too attached (and I assume you are) take him to an avian vet to check that wing. The vet may only have to remove those two wayward feathers and everything being fine he'll be fully feathered in 6-8 weeks. So for the next two months you'll have to ensure he's never in a position to try flying.

:welave:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

MrEggJnr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lee
Looks like either his jealous siblings have been having a go at him (he is so gorgeous) and/or the breeder or the seller maybe plucked his flights to tidy him up for sale.
If you're not too attached to him you can take him back for another.
Or if you're too attached (and I assume you are) take him to an avian vet to check that wing. The vet may only have to remove those two wayward feathers and everything being fine he'll be fully feathered in 6-8 weeks. So for the next two months you'll have to ensure he's never in a position to try flying.

:welave:
I chose him because he looked so cute and it seemed like the birds in the cage with him (5 others) didn't really pay him any mind for the hour or so I was watching them, so I am kinda attached to him :) wouldn't dream of giving him away now

Can you post a few more photos of Kumo? His wing looks very odd, I don't know why, @Lady Jane probably would, and more photos would help.
Here are the photos of Kumo, Kiwi's Mom.
Kumo also always sits there and doesn't really move around alot, I chopped it up to him just getting used to his new home but my S.O has been worried about him and so have I. I also have a thing for animals that seem to be shunned by their own. is it normal for them to make very quiet sounds? It's like a little
chirp .

How would I go about keeping him from flying? Kumo is the one on the right in the 3rd photo He does fix that one feather when it goes skew like that but it happens alot. He also hops around on the floor flapping his wings like mad.
IMG_20200702_172425.jpg IMG_20200702_172345.jpg IMG_20200702_172320.jpg IMG_20200702_172247.jpg IMG_20200702_174206.jpg

Last edited:

MrEggJnr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lee
Welcome to the avenue!

You have some beautiful birds! Do you know how old Kumo is? He is definitely young. It may just have moved out of place? Does it look broken at all from under the wing? I love the names by the way!

@Lady Jane @Ripshod @Shezbug @Kiwi's Mom might have an idea.

Sorry I took so long to reply, I didn't want to tell you something wrong, so thought I would give some others a chance.
No problem Im trying not to worry about it to much but I don't know what to do and that is what's making me a bit nervous so I thought I'd look online. I'm just glad someone is actually willing to help :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
I totally agree with Zara and Ripshod that your baby is missing its flight feathers on that wing. Hope the new flights grow in soon :)

Reactions: Ali

MrEggJnr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lee
Thank you all for your help. I guess I might have been a bit too paranoid lol. Thank you Zara and Ripshod I shall have a look around where I live and take them both to the vet just to get them checked on that way I can be at ease. Kumo has gotten a bit more lively since I posted and he hasn't really tried flying that often anymore either.

Again thank you all :D, Oh and @Shezbug I see you want people to ask for pics of your Macaw mind if I see him/her?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!