• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greetings from Australia

sophomore

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, former bird owner here. I'd created this account with the hopes of learning more about a peculiar Scaly-breasted Lorikeet that happened upon my backyard a week ago, but after a very recent turn of events (the bird was hospitalised for underlying respiratory problems and was pronounced dead earlier today) she/he is no longer with us. I'd dedicated my username to it as it would have been the second bird I've owned in my life, but alas, it simply wasn't meant to be.

It was a stressful but ultimately exhilarating week with this bird; from finding out that it was a unique Lorikeet crossbreed, to hearing it enthusiastically recite all the words it had been taught by its original owner, to it sifting through my hair as if it were showing me affection. The end was tough and heartbreaking, but I'm fairly at peace with the fact that I'd tried everything I knew to care for this bird and that the vet I took it to had exhausted all of its methods to revive it.

Perhaps it's better off this way; if I do consider adopting a new bird I'll be able to undertake research and post questions on this website beforehand, instead of rushing into purchasing a bird that may be too demanding and high-maintenance for a fairly amateur pet owner who misidentified a Lorikeet and fed it seeds (don't worry I still fed it fruit!).

I only knew you for a week, but rest in peace Lolly. :tiel:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Sorry to hear about Lolly's short stay with you, but it sounds like you tried your best for the poor darling.

On a more positive note, welcome, and hope you enjoy the site :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sorry to hear about Lolly.
Welcome to the Avenue.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry you only had a short time with Lolly. I am glad you had meaningful relationship however brief and that Lolly had someone to look after him/her during the end.

On a brighter note Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here:smileflower:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Always sad to hear of a fids demise... sorry for your loss! :sorrow: Especially when tried to give them a chance for life!

Welcome... hope your future endeavors aren't as heartbreaking!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome. I am sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. So sorry about Lolly. It was very good of you to try to help this bird.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome i am so sorry for your loss

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran