• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green coloration on budgie's foot

babybagel

Sitting on the front steps
Hi, so I got two new budgies (adult females) and one of them has green coloration on both her feet. It looks sort of like mold. Also her feet are sorta bumpy. Could it be something related to liver disease? Also I noticed she seems fat. The previous owner supplied them with only one toy and three perches and they were kept in a small but very clean cage. They have a seed only diet. Thank you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Photo? Sometimes they get dye from a toy (was it green). Don't think it would be mold. Maybe mites? Hard to say without seeing it.
Liver disease is more seen in the poop but guess it could give a green tinge. Also budgies can have different color feet.
Some pink, some dark.

Not sure what you mean by bumpy feet but perhaps a well bird vet visit would be advised.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello welcome to the avenue,

A photo may help us understand. The way you describe them, it sounds like regular bird feet. Birds do have scales on their feet which may appear bumpy, but without a photo I am unsure if it is unsual or not. Green and sometimes purple splotches are normal for parrot feet, many birds have them. Think of them as birth/beauty marks. It is just their unique feet patterns. That said again, a photo tells a thousand words. It be be as simple as dye from a toy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, so I got two new budgies (adult females) and one of them has green coloration on both her feet. It looks sort of like mold. Also her feet are sorta bumpy. Could it be something related to liver disease? Also I noticed she seems fat. The previous owner supplied them with only one toy and three perches and they were kept in a small but very clean cage. They have a seed only diet. Thank you.
Please share a good clear photo of the feet.

babybagel

Sitting on the front steps
20211202_183203.jpg 20211202_183259.jpg 20211202_183029_2.jpg 20211202_183141_2.jpg 20211202_183141_3.jpg 20211202_183317.jpg 20211202_183121.jpg
These are the photos- they are as clear as I could take because she is afraid of my phone. Its definitely not color from a toy, it looks like some sort of infection. It's also not bumpy in a normal sort of way. When I searched it up on google I read that it could be related to liver disease. Thank you all for your replies

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since these birds are new to you its best to have an avian vet check them out. No avian vet? Then find a regular vet that will see birds.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@babybagel Thank you for the photos. It is a difficult to read the images, but I agree it may be something that requires further investigation. I think it is wise to take them to the vet.

Do you best not to diagnose it yet. It may not be liver disease. Keep in mind that when birds are stressed illnesses can arise that have been there the whole time, but the stress weakens their immune system. As example, my finch was petrified of fireworks in the city last NYE, he ended up getting a fungal infection. The vet explained that it seemed he probably had the fungus from his previous home, but it wasn't until the stressful event that his immune system couldn't hold it back. He ended up getting on an anti-fungal medication and had a full recovery.

I hope you sort out your little budgies soon, I am sure you are already working to improve their enrichments and diet. Fingers crossed it isn't liver disease.