• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheeks x two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

Could any of you who have more than one green cheek conure tell me about your birds. I would like to hear if you found it difficult to bring in a second GCC. How they get along. If anyone has had two GCC not end up getting along. By the way, I am not asking if it is a guarantee that two birds will be friends, I already know that it isn't and you never know, but I am curious to hear how others did getting a second one:) Thanks.

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
Well I have several most of the time but they are always young babies, but usually do get along ok when put with another one after they wean.
I actually have a regular GC and a Yellow Sided in one cage together and they love each other.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Well I got Andy & Annie together, but then Annie died so we got Chloe, after Quarantine we put Chloe's cage in front of Andy's and observed from the kitchen (which is beside the birds room but we didn't want either of them to see us) They chattered back and forth for a long time and If Andy moved to the left of his cage, Chloe moved to the left of hers so after about and hour We opened both cages and continued to watch them
they were very curious of each other as they've only heard each other from other rooms . but they got along as soon as they met in the middle of both cages next thing i knew Chloe was in Andy's cage playing with all his Toys, Andy was on top of his cage just observing (he was never one to play with toys no matter what kind I gave him (even when Annie was alive I don't think they were ever given toys) So i kept watching Andy hoped around his cage top for a while before venturing in they ate together and that went great, Andy took a bath in his water dish , Chloe followed and took one after he did , then she went back to playing while Andy Looked out the window (this is what Andy LOVES to do) then next thing I knew I walked back in to check on them to find this

they played together for hours I was surprised to see Andy Play

it was like they had known each other all their lives

and to be honest these 2 have hit it off quicker than any bird in my house (other than ones who came together of course LOL)

oh and the noise level NEVER Changed even now with 3 (Andy, Chloe and their Baby Cupid) the noise Level is the same. as it was with Just Andy

P.S. Neither Andy Nor Chloe are tame. But I can towel them both and they'll lay on their backs and I can rub their bellies and beaks and head and they'll doze out in my hand - but that is about it LOL

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well I have several most of the time but they are always young babies, but usually do get along ok when put with another one after they wean.
I actually have a regular GC and a Yellow Sided in one cage together and they love each other.

Thank you:) Can you tell me how you introduced the GC and YS together. How old were they when they met?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well I got Andy & Annie together, but then Annie died so we got Chloe, after Quarantine we put Chloe's cage in front of Andy's and observed from the kitchen (which is beside the birds room but we didn't want either of them to see us) They chattered back and forth for a long time and If Andy moved to the left of his cage, Chloe moved to the left of hers so after about and hour We opened both cages and continued to watch them
they were very curious of each other as they've only heard each other from other rooms . but they got along as soon as they met in the middle of both cages next thing i knew Chloe was in Andy's cage playing with all his Toys, Andy was on top of his cage just observing (he was never one to play with toys no matter what kind I gave him (even when Annie was alive I don't think they were ever given toys) So i kept watching Andy hoped around his cage top for a while before venturing in they ate together and that went great, Andy took a bath in his water dish , Chloe followed and took one after he did , then she went back to playing while Andy Looked out the window (this is what Andy LOVES to do) then next thing I knew I walked back in to check on them to find this
they played together for hours I was surprised to see Andy Play

it was like they had known each other all their lives

and to be honest these 2 have hit it off quicker than any bird in my house (other than ones who came together of course LOL)

oh and the noise level NEVER Changed even now with 3 (Andy, Chloe and their Baby Cupid) the noise Level is the same. as it was with Just Andy

P.S. Neither Andy Nor Chloe are tame. But I can towel them both and they'll lay on their backs and I can rub their bellies and beaks and head and they'll doze out in my hand - but that is about it LOL

See, it's pictures like this that tell me it could be a great thing. I have an almost 1 year old female Cinnamon GC. I handle her every day, play with her, adore her. She is caged right next to my linnie and of course there are a bunch of other birds in this room. She is VERY busy! I have to watch her because she seems to want to be close to the other birds, especially my linnie. They are sometimes on the same boing together but because she is bigger I worry about them so I always watch. They have had some "squabbles" which I may be being more cautious about than I need to be but I don't want Argyle to get hurt. If I put her on the other play gym sometimes she runs over and climbs down and starts going up to my WF Amazon. I just think she wants to be with him but maybe her social skills are a little off. When I got her she was at a breeders who had a several, maybe 5 GCC babies together and she was about three months at the time.

I just had a friend email me to ask if I knew anyone who wanted a GCC that is 2 years old because her daughter is moving out, etc, etc. He lives with two cockatiels.

What do you think?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Thats not a huge age difference, should go rather smoothly

Chloe is 3 Andy is 19 (or at least i'm pretty sure thats the year on his band )and they got along great

just introduce them like you would any new bird, under supervision, side by side in a cage first and let them get to know each other than let them out to play together. and see how things goes, Usually there is bickering at first (at least with my tiels and budgies there was) but before long they all became best buds

but as you already know nothing guarantees 2 birds will get along, I have some who just Tolerate each other but they do all live together Just don't interact with each other

but i'll take Tolerating it's better than beating each other up :D

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thats not a huge age difference, should go rather smoothly

Chloe is 3 Andy is 19 (or at least i'm pretty sure thats the year on his band )and they got along great

just introduce them like you would any new bird, under supervision, side by side in a cage first and let them get to know each other than let them out to play together. and see how things goes, Usually there is bickering at first (at least with my tiels and budgies there was) but before long they all became best buds

but as you already know nothing guarantees 2 birds will get along, I have some who just Tolerate each other but they do all live together Just don't interact with each other

but i'll take Tolerating it's better than beating each other up :D
Right and worst case scenario is they really didn't get along and I could rehome him. Somehow, i think Autumn would get along well with another GCC though.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had two GCC's for about a year,and from the very start they hated one another,Leo was so deeply bonded to me that he attacked Peanut the second that the met, I was there watchin of course and seperated them,at once. But even after that Leo would go after Peanut when ever he had the chance. I finally rehomed Peanut to my fellow Co-Worker at my vet clinic because of some other issues,but the main one was that he was so scared of Leo attacking him that he wouldnt come of his cage.

Anything can happen,and I hope that your guys hit it off and become best buds:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think since they are still young there's a good chance, perhaps while she's still young too, now would be a good time because when she's older she might not take to another GCC around. (she could prove me wrong though!)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I think since they are still young there's a good chance, perhaps while she's still young too, now would be a good time because when she's older she might not take to another GCC around. (she could prove me wrong though!)
That's what I was thinking too. I know someone had two girls that loved each other and I thought it was you, but I must be thinking of someone else.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
it may work Vicki - they are both already used to being around and interacting with other birds

let us know what you decide

:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok, the 2 year old fell through because someone else was already interested. Am still thinking of getting Autumn a friend. I wish that there were babies in rescue....

Status
Not open for further replies.