• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheeked conure biting

HannahAlaga

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hannah
I, as of December 30, 2018, Got a new pet conure. I haven’t had a bird for a few years, so I would say I’m learning. He does have a good lifestyle though. Anyways the problem is that he bites you when you hold him or touch his cage. He runs up to bite my finger when I am adjusting things in his cage. Also when I try to get him to step up, he bites me. As of writing this, I have only had him for two days. Is there a way to fix this problem? The old owner said that he bit her for a month and stopped.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sorry to say this but this is what happens when you don't respect them and give them time to settle in.
Don't touch him. Don't hold him. Don't demand anything from him.
You had him for two days and think this is a problem. Don't you understand that he bites you for protection.
And the cage is his so don't do anything in it more then changing food and water.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Give him time :) Put yourself in his position. A stranger who doesn't speak your language comes to your house, takes all of your things, and takes you to their home. Then they try to hug you and go through your suitcases and personal belongings.

This is essentially what has happened to your bird. He needs time to understand you don't mean him harm, and that you respect him :) Give him a chance to settle in a bit, and then proceed slowly, so that he has a chance to say no before he has to bite you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Target training and station training would be your best bet.

The only bite that can't be rewarded is the bite that never occurs. By "allowing" a bird to bite, you are reinforcing their need to bite. If you do get bit, don't ignore and don't punish! Simply remove yourself from the situation, even if that means prying the bird's beak off of you and take a moment to think how you may be able to avoid that situation in the future.

A large cage with a large door may help, too.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Step up training should look something like this....

1. Reward your bird for looking at you.
  2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
  3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
  4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
  5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
  6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
  7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
  8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
  9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
  10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
When I first got Ruby, my eclectus, she was a male only bird. She would run to the side of the cage hissing and would try to bite me through the bars. This went on for the first few weeks. I would change the water and feed her only for the first week. The second I would give her a treat and move away. She was not a happy camper. After three weeks I could change her tray without being attacked. No one really knows a birds history. People do lie on occasion.
I eventually found out she had been forced to mate with a male she didn't like so she attacked it. Her owners hadn't taken her to the vet for her foot which is permanently dislocated and they had given up and put her in an outdoor aviary with one perch she couldn't fly up to as they had clipped her wings .
Give your bird time. He is scared and who know what he has really gone through. These days Ruby is a different bird and yours will be too. :)