• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek with yellow shoulders?

PicosBeak

Moving in
Hi, I’m pretty new here, but I just wanted some advice about my baby’s new colors. My beautiful baby bird had his first molt last month and ended up with very yellow shoulder feathers and yellow under his wings. This is my first green cheek and I’m not sure if this is normal, a nice different coloration, of something indicative of a larger issue. His colors are symmetric and he is very active and a pleasure. No change in personality noted.

Attachments

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Hmm I haven’t seen anything quite like it myself... at least not that much yellow except on yellow sided. But he sure is gorgeous, especially with the blues on the back of his neck. Hopefully someone else can give you more info.

Edit;

I have no knowledge of genetics so just spitting out ideas but here’s a pied green cheek. Much more yellow of course but...

Last edited:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Not to scare you, but the best thing is to make a vet visit. Colors that aren't necessarily normal could be indicative of something wrong with the liver. My parrot, Slade, had yellow feathers when I got him on his head, which is not normal for the species. I changed his died from mostly seed to a healthy balance and they fell out. The vet said there are no further issues with his liver now, so if you catch it fast enough you may not have to do much to fix it. Pied green cheeks are rare to my knowledge also, I'm sure someone else can chime in on that side of it.

PicosBeak

Moving in
I should mention that his diet consists of mostly pellets (which he is not very good at eating) and a daily chop which includes quinoa, lentils, or brown rice and a variety of fruits and veggies (Apple, carrot, beans, cauliflower, sweet potato, etc) which he gets daily. He also has a small amount of birdy vitamin in his water and bird bread. He gets seeds as treats only.
His hatch date was 11/30/18.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I can't see what he's eating have the feathers on the shoulders change color. I have to agree with the others I'd take him to the vet for a check.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my turquoise green cheeks has a yellow patch on the tips of her shoulders. Usually one of the chicks from each clutch has the same pattern appear after the first molt. Any idea what the parents look like?

PicosBeak

Moving in
Hi, unfortunately I don’t know what the parents look like. :sad1: I wonder if it is something genetic since all of his other feathers seem normal and appear healthy. No stress bars or anything after this first molt. Still may take a trip to the vet for peace of mind, just didn’t want to stress him out unnecessarily in the event that this was just a normal color variation.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Hi, unfortunately I don’t know what the parents look like. :sad1: I wonder if it is something genetic since all of his other feathers seem normal and appear healthy. No stress bars or anything after this first molt. Still may take a trip to the vet for peace of mind, just didn’t want to stress him out unnecessarily in the event that this was just a normal color variation.
He has to get used to the vet anyway, birds are pretty adaptable. "Appearing" healthy is something that birds are masters of. When did you last take him to the vet for the new bird check up?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm with @BrianB here... I would say it's 'normal'. Some green cheeks have even been bred to have large amounts of yellow on the shoulders. (wish I could share pics! website is gone now though...)

Not a sign of being pied, just 'growing up'. Most green cheeks do not get these yellow patches, but a few do.

Here are a few older threads that also talk about this coloration in the wings. :)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/green-cheek-hybrid.111492/
Green Cheek Roll Call | Page 31 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/do-any-of-your-green-cheeks-have-orange-feathers.126875/

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Looks like the beginning of a yellow side gcc - I have a girl Loki who has yellow on her shoulders and across her stomach along with red.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm with @BrianB here... I would say it's 'normal'. Some green cheeks have even been bred to have large amounts of yellow on the shoulders. (wish I could share pics! website is gone now though...)

Not a sign of being pied, just 'growing up'. Most green cheeks do not get these yellow patches, but a few do.

Here are a few older threads that also talk about this coloration in the wings. :)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/green-cheek-hybrid.111492/
Green Cheek Roll Call | Page 31 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/do-any-of-your-green-cheeks-have-orange-feathers.126875/
Some of those were mine!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The yellow patch seems to have a bit of orange in the middle from the photo. A vet visit may still be in order. Yellow sided GCC usually have light colored feet.
Loki & Cinny Bird both have pink feet, everyone else has dark feet.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I’d love to know what transpires, if you take him to the vet.

PicosBeak

Moving in
Hi all. Just wanted to provide an update. We went to the vet and she seemed very unconcerned with the feathers. She says that it’s just his coloring and that yellow shoulders will likely be a normal thing for him. She did, however, encourage a UV light for the winter months as his non yellow feathers seemed to get darker towards the ends.
She didn’t give specifics on why exactly he’s getting these feathers, but she did reassure us serval times that it’s nothing to be worried about.
I’m personally thinking maybe he does have some yellow sided in him? I don’t know that for sure tho.
I can’t believe how similar he looks to some of Monica’s birds. Wow! Twins.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I got the same response from the vets re: yellow shoulders like that. It's always good to check as a precaution. :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Glad it's OK. Better the be safe than sorry.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't have any green cheeks with yellow shoulders, but it is pretty neat! :)

There really aren't any safe bird lights that will provide UV, so please do not waste money spending more than you need to! That said, a good "daylight" bulb above the cage can still be beneficial! :)