• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Weight

ParrotPerson21

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rachael
Hi guys. New here...been meaning to join a parrot forum for a while now....quick question about my green cheek conure. I recently bought a kitchen scale to weigh my birds and it turns out my green cheek weighs 92 grams (He is fully grown). According to averages I found online that's seems pretty heavy. He does eat a home made seed mix (as in seeds, dried fruits, pellets etc.) from my local bird specialty store as well as a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. (Also, I am currently working on switching him and the rest of my flock to pellets) Anyways, do you guys think my green cheek is a bit too heavy? Or are there any of you avian expert out there that have seen healthy green cheeks weighing in at over the 60-80 average? Thanks.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:
Grumbles isn't fully grown- and he is 60 grams.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
92 grams is huge! That's the size of my blue throated conure and I can definitely feel the difference between her and my 70 gram green cheek.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's unhealthy. I know a green cheek who is I think somewhere in the mid-80s so it's not unheard of to be bigger than average. His actual body condition and changes over time are more telling than just the number on the scale. But feel his chest - can you feel his keel bone or does he have little birdy boobs? Does he get enough exercise? Is he flighted? It's probably a good idea to ask about his weight at his next vet checkup because a good vet will be able to tell you if he's actually overweight.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That is quite heavy for a GCC but it's possible he's just heavy built and not overweight. A vet would be able to tell you if he's overweight although you can get an idea by feeling his lower chest. You should be able to feel his keel bone easily but it won't stick out at all. If he's a strong flier, large flight muscles may make the keel a little harder to feel.
70-75 grams seems to be the average weight for GCC's.
Mine is 74-75g and actually quite thin at that weight (but she's just naturally thin) but her weight can get as high as 90-95g when she's about to lay eggs.

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
What has your avian vet said about this? Ive googled the averages for my bird and have gotten a ton of different answers, according to many sources she is extemely over weight. She's a BCC and 161 grams. According to my vet though, very healthy and a perfectly weight.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Gilligan, a Cinnamon GCC is currently 84 grams. The vet said that was fine, but did call him "chubby". That boy eats more than our Macaw.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
First off - is your green cheek flighted or clipped?

Second - there are different subspecies of green cheek conures, which means they come in different sizes. Now, most people in the USA aren't aware that there are different subspecies, so many/all of the subspecies have been mixed, so you'll notice subtle differences in the coloration's of various green cheeks - as well as possibly a difference in size.

If your bird is a healthy weight for his size, then it would be due to genetics (re: subspecies), but if he's not at a healthy weight, it could be due to diet and exercise.

ParrotPerson21

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rachael
He is not a flighted bird. I clip his wings probably once a month or so. But he does get a lot of exercise (ie. climbing around on the other bird's cages, the couch, me etc.) I can feel his keelbone if I press lightly on his chest. I don't think he has little birdy boobs...Although I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be feeling. I did take him to the vet last year and don't remember her saying anything about him being overweight...but he's due to go in again soon. I will be sure to ask then. Oh also, I was at my local bird shop last week and played with another green cheek conure there who was visibly smaller than my bird as well as much lighter. I think he was still a juvenile bird but it still gave me a good comparison....I will just have to wait and ask the vet and see though...Thanks for the replies guys.