• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Roll Call

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
I'm wondering if the something he wants is actually transportation. He was clipped when I adopted him a few days ago, and cannot fly. He seems really keen on visiting the other birds in another room. It doesn't seem to be food he is after, and he does it even when I am giving him attention. Maybe he just wants a lift?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm wondering if the something he wants is actually transportation. He was clipped when I adopted him a few days ago, and cannot fly. He seems really keen on visiting the other birds in another room. It doesn't seem to be food he is after, and he does it even when I am giving him attention. Maybe he just wants a lift?
He might want a lift somewhere but he still needs to learn not to bite if he wants one.
He will hear the other birds my two just called to each other through the qt period but they both call to the birds outside now.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
They are very bitey when babies and to a degree they do continue being a bit nippy when playing.
The sooner you can start on training to stop the better.
Stop him going on your shoulder much harder to manage a rogue conure when on your shoulder.
Try and keep him on your hands and when he nips/bites put him down on a bird safe are and tell him No biting and ignore him for a bit if he returns to you straight away then return him to the safe area.
It doesnt take them long to realise that if they bite they get put down and ignored.
He is a lovely little fella
Thank you very much for the advice. I will follow it. Much appreciated. My concern is two-fold: (1) The bites hurt and (2) I don't want to make him feel frustrated. A frustrated bird is not a happy bird, and it's not a terribly auspicious way for us to begin our friendship. I'm trying to learn Conurese :D He lowers his head when he is on my finger and seems to be in the "transfer me to shoulder" pose I have read about in my GCC care handbook. He seems keen to come out of his cage and spend time, and I avoid grabbing him as much as I can (I am mostly successful). I also don't invade his cage unless I put food in/take out dirty bowls, and then I do it slowly and watch his body language. Fortunately he steps up when he wants to come out. Doing my best to respect his needs. He is indeed a lovely fella. I've met quite a few GCCs in recent weeks, and I really like their manner.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
He might want a lift somewhere but he still needs to learn not to bite if he wants one.
He will hear the other birds my two just called to each other through the qt period but they both call to the birds outside now.
Yep I understand that :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you very much for the advice. I will follow it. Much appreciated. My concern is two-fold: (1) The bites hurt and (2) I don't want to make him feel frustrated. A frustrated bird is not a happy bird, and it's not a terribly auspicious way for us to begin our friendship. I'm trying to learn Conurese :D He lowers his head when he is on my finger and seems to be in the "transfer me to shoulder" pose I have read about in my GCC care handbook. He seems keen to come out of his cage and spend time, and I avoid grabbing him as much as I can (I am mostly successful). I also don't invade his cage unless I put food in/take out dirty bowls, and then I do it slowly and watch his body language. Fortunately he steps up when he wants to come out. Doing my best to respect his needs. He is indeed a lovely fella. I've met quite a few GCCs in recent weeks, and I really like their manner.
1. The bites do hurt :lol: one of mine will use her beak when playing on me but its not hard if she does become over zealous she gets put down still, this is rare but she still gets over excited when playing.
2. I couldnt say about a transfer me to your shoulder pose mine dont bother with shoulders as they where always removed so dont bother.

KeetQueen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah Stark
Hi everyone! I recently adopted a GCC from a bird rescue, so I thought I would introduce her. :cinnamongcc1: Her name is Cocoa and she is a 4 y/o female cinnamon green cheek conure. She adores getting cuddles and likes to dance when she's happy :) She is hesitant about stepping up, but I am working with her on that. I love her already! IMG_20220806_090101982.jpg IMG_20220806_090838691.jpg IMG_20220808_085210578.jpg

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Sunny & Mako... Mako's bite is awe-inspiring, thus the gloves. Trying foraging today and both already big fans of Roudybush and chop. Both around 4 weeks. The breeder claims both are males but Sunny's head is more rounded while Mako's is flatter. Gender as yet unconfirmed. Best buddies and while Sunny seems to like me Mako is newer and still warming to me

Attachments

Last edited:

mdavis0698

Moving in
Real Name
Mark Davis
This is my "Louie" Pineapple Green Cheek. He's a character!!!! He loves to talk, He loves to play, and he REALLY LOVES to annoy the dogs and get them to "Sing" (howl) with him!!

maniro

Checking out the neighborhood
This is Toby, a DNA'd male, about two and a half months old. I've had him for nearly five days now. He's adorable and quiet, not as adventurous as I've heard conures to be - but I think he's still getting used to his new home. I try not to bother him, but sometimes he stares at my hand until I bring it over... and he chews on my skin real bad. I hope we'll become better friends in the future!

I have a couple of pictures from the day we brought him home (was so worried he'd get carsick. He didn't, thankfully :D)

meetingtoby.jpg

and in his cage (what're you looking at?)

helloo.jpg

and this one's from today morning, with some leftover tissue I was using as emergency poop wipe

toby with a tissue.jpg

Sasey

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello there, everyone! I am brand new to the forums and wanted to share my babies with the community.
My husband and I have had a cockatiel named Spike for awhile (my husband has had him since 1998, he is 26yo now) but we just recently rescued another cockatiel (Dolly, 3yo) and a Green Cheek Conure named Zebbie (10yo). I was raised around birds so felt comfortable with the rescue, and everything has worked out perfectly! Everyone is bonding well and settling in!
So without further ado..
IMG_7987.jpeg
IMG_7996.jpeg

Ash M Gon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
This is Meeko! I've been lurking for a long time on these forums (8 years!) and have recently decided to post stuff now that I've rescued this crazy little bugger

Attachments