• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Perch Potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

microjoes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe W
Hello...

I am owned by a 1 yr old green cheek. She's a real perch potato. She spends most of the day on a stand in the living room. She is so lazy..... The only time she likes to interact is when I take her into the bathroom for showers and a peek at the mirror.

She is so bad I took the food and water dishes off the perch and moved them to the lower tray so she would have to at least work for her food. She hates all forms of toys except paper string.

Any suggestions on engaging my lazy bird. This is the first GCC I have owned.:gcc:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
since she likes paper put some of her food in paper cups and fold twist the top shut do some while she is watching so she knows some thing is inside make her work for some of her food:hug8:

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If she has a favorite treat put it in a clear foraging toy such as this: FORAGING DRAWERS NEW! - EDUCATIONAL & FORAGING by Bird Paradise . It is very simple for the bird to figure out what is needed to be done to get the treat. You can then work from there. It does not even have to be a treat. It could be seed or something similar. I just said treat so as to get her into wanting to use the toy.

Matt

microjoes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe W
Thank You!!!

I did as suggested and I also found that keeping her a tad hungry was enough to get her off the perch looking for food.

microjoes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe W
Thanks, she seems a little better and now uses one of those Penplax foraging cubes, but only if I put the good stuff in it.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Do you play games with her when she's out? My BE2 Dusty can get a bit porky in winter, so I have to get her going...we play fetch the ball with bellbals meant for cats(supervised toy only) chase the empty coke bottle (and bite me if I go for my turn), and rather than carry her about I make her walk about when we go about our chores in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.