• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek is a little naughty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crickets Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly Foss
So i have a four month old green cheek conure. I got him a month ago, the only time he was a little bitey was the first day we brought him home. I think I pushed it too much when i should have left him alone. Any of those of you that have green cheeks probably know the squawk they make when they are not happy. He has been doing this and getting kind of bitey. I watched a pampered peep video that really helped when they are on your shoulder you kind of cup their head and tell them no, and it has helped until now. Also i do a small hand quake that has helped but lately not so much. I know some people don't like the hand quake method but the one i use is just barely a movement that makes him stop and think "what was that?" Even that isn't helping anymore. I have noticed it is definately worse around his bed time. So I sort of avoid getting him out at that time, but some days when i don't get home until later i feel like i really need to spend some time with him and so i need to get him out. Anyone have any good ideas for me? Is he going thru a hormonal time? He was born the first week of February. 2011. Thanks for your help it will be much appreciated. I forgot to add that i have recently started using a feather brite light.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I dont hink he is going through hormones yet. That should hit until he is a couple of years old. If it is mostly happening close to his bed time he is probably trying to tell you that he doesnt want the attention and is tired.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
It's tough when your free time is not compatible with his waking/sleeping schedule. I would suggest interacting quietly with him before bed without handling him. You want your interactions to end on a good note, and that's going to be difficult to achieve if you're handling him when you know he's going to be cranky and nippy. Bed-time is definitely the time with my flock when I'm most likely to get bitten, so I tend to be very hands-off then.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
handquakes for Jak and I grab Koi's beak with my fingers and peck and kissy at her... love smother.
Some are just way naughtier than others. Koi had a clutchmate that looked very much like her, but I knew it wasn't my bird because it was always eager to see me and eager to bite me.
Every day they get kissy kissy whispered in their ear with kisses on the shoulder. When Koi gets cheeky I tell her I'm going to eat her and she gets snatched up and flipped over on her back. I met Koi before she had both eyes open so I get to do whatever I want and so does she.

If he doesn't want to be handled but you know you need to spend time with them why not lay on the couch and put the cheeky on your chest and see if they will either stay put and let you talk to them, walk up to the shoulder to cuddle or to just groom your hair?

Also, maybe a trip to the vet and a gram stain incase your baby is feeling yucky and acting out.

Crickets Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly Foss
Thank you for your advice. Usually Fridays are the only day i get home late but yesterday we had some issues at work so i had to stay later. Does anyone think it could be the extra light from the feather brite? I had a parrotlet that got downright naughty after putting the light on, i think i will leave it off for a while and see how it goes. Thanks again.

LunaMoona

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
My green cheek is around a year and half old.. I noticed lately that he has gotten a little more moody, maybe hormonal. When he used to get nippy when he was a baby like yours I used to lightly blow on him when he would bite hard (not just a feeling bite) i still do sometimes if hes really naughty I guess its the same concept as the cupping their head.. kinda distracts them. I guess if they are small bites now I kinda ignore them or if he is being really bad I put him back in his cage to show him it was unacceptable. Maybe Ive just been more tolerant of his little bites tho because I have a grey too now and her beak packs a lot more punch!!!

Crickets Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly Foss
Oh yea, the gray would be way different. I have found that as soon as he starts getting snotty i make him step up a couple of times and put him back in his cage. He is learning and i feel like he is pretty smart (of course i think he is totallly awsome in every way but then again i AM the mommy) so he will get it. Also the bedtime thing, thanks you guys, definately leaving him alone after 7pm. Geeze he is grouchier than DH!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.