• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Hates Hands... But Loves Me!

Fawnia

Meeting neighbors
Hello, it has been a week since I have had my first 4 month old GCC ^^
He is awesome, very playful and loves being on me. The first thing he does when I open is cage is try to get on my shoulder. He is starting to learn too that nipping can hurt me, so he stills tries to nip, but not so it hurts.

However, if there is one thing he hates, it is my hands. He is fine with jumping onto my arm, but if I try to get my hand near him he starts to make annoyed sounds and will even lunge if I get too close (I experienced this today when he was on my lap, outside the cage). When I give him treats, he seems cautious of my hand but still accepts the treat. He hates being pet too, makes me make angry noises and tries to bite. But still.... he LOVES being on me, and if I leave him alone, he flies right back to me haha.

So as you can see, he currently hates my hands, which is really annoying when trying to teach him "step up" because I don't want to anger him. It's also really annoying trying to get him back in his cage without my hands XD. I just put a treat in his food dish and it distracts him enough for me to close the door hahahaha.

So how do you think I can easy him into liking my hands and stepping up? Thanks!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I also have a young GCC who I am in the process of trying to tame. Currently, she can not be handled at all and will not make any direct contact with me, but she is ESPECIALLY, cautious of my hands. She will take seeds from my hands, but otherwise runs from them.

I feel your pain!!

I am hoping that in situations such as yours and mine, that slow, patient interacting might be able to win them over.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My cockatiel is the same way...and has been for eleven years.

The lucky thing for you is that your GCC is a baby, and you've only known each other for a week. That's no time at all for a bird, and you've got years and years together to get his aversion to hands sorted.

The secret to getting a bird to accept anything is: patience, patience, patience, and a whoooole lot of positive reinforcement. Make your hands something that have a positive association for him. The fact that he'll accept treats from your fingers is perfect; just keep that up.

And definitely don't try to pet him, or try to touch him when you hold out a treat for him. He actively dislikes being touched, and touching him isn't going to make him like your hands. He'll only grow to hate them more, because he regards them as fiendish giants that harass him and make him uncomfortable.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Some fids think that your hands are similar to a large gorilla that wants to squish em, as @hrafn so aptly states!

Fortunately, you have the chance to change all that... with time that is your friend here! It’s amazing what a year or so of love and patience can achieve, if you get my drift! :)

They have all the time in the world... it’s us that want everything to happen yesterday! :meh:

Nola

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nola
Have you tried using your wrist/arm instead of your hand/fingers for step up? Also look into clicker training there are some wonderful resources out there. As it's only been a week your bub is still adjusting and will need time as will you, keep up positive reinforcement treats and lots of patience. It's taken me 10 months with two of my green cheeks to eat out of my hands and not freak out when I'm near them, Marley my Jenday loves being on and near me but not a petting bird, I just respect his wishes and enjoy the bond we have. Most of all enjoy the journey they are the best bird buddies

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica