• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek conures pipped and unzipping

StandUpand

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amber
Green cheek conures parents have incubated their clutch and successfully hatched a previous clutch. I noticed this morning that one of the egas had pipped and was about half way unzipped. I haven't seen any progress since then though. I can hear the baby chirp and can see it breathing. My question is how long do they take on average to hatch once they begin unzipping and when should I become concerned for the baby?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

StandUpand

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amber
Update- I patiently waited and kept an eye on it's progress until well into the night while simultaneously doing as much research as I could about the hatching process for normal births. Well into the night my instincts told me that if I didn't intervene that it would perish so close to breaking free. So I decided to inspect it further and see what could be done. I removed the little one from the nest and proceeded to moisten the membrane as it was very dry, so much that little ones feather had actually dried completely. I then took tweezers and slowly and methodically began to continue the zip line he had already begun many hours previous. I had noticed that he was loosing zest and energy in the hours leading up to this which was what was very concerning. He had become shrink wrapped and no longer could turn inside the egg, and was literally almost done unzipping! I removed the shell only, careful not to touch the membrane underneath, and only finished his little zip line, leaving both end of the shelf for him to break free himself. After the membrane properly moistened the little guy began to have a new zest for hatching and I put him back in the box with mom and dad just in time for him to greet the world, FINALLY! HAPPY TO REPORT HES DOING AMAZING! PERFECTLY HEALTHY AND DEVELOPING ON TIME! This little guy just didn't have the strength to continue after being stuck for so long and I'm glad that I could help him (or her)

Countrysky

Moving in
Real Name
Hollie Rosenski
Aww ours just unexpectedly laid there 1st and then 2nd clutch after being together for 10 years. Didn't know what to do still don't trying to read as much as fast as I can so they can finally have what they obviously want. She's such a good mom laying on her eggs very protective and he is so sweet to her bringing her treats and feeded her. Laying on the eggs to give her a break to go he water. He is so protective over them all. Congratulations on yours. Good save. Looks like I have alot more to learn cause a zip line and all that was completely foreign to me. They are so spread out too.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
:congratualtions: