• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure Weight

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi all,
I was finally able to find the scale again to weigh Spearmint, and he's 69grams. He's 2years old, and when he was 8 months he was 61g. Is this an ideal weight for a 2year old gcc? Or is he falling a little under. He'd already pooped before being weighed and i'd say he ate about a tsp of veg or less.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a pretty big weight gap for GCC and as long as he has good body condition as in his keel is not too protruding or too little, your avian vet will be able to tell you.
My Gcc Tom is 76-78g, he's well muscled from flight training. The weight gap is between as small as 55g all the way to 80g.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's ideal is very individual! Body condition is much more important to deciding what is right for your bird :)

My green cheek was 54g and perfect for her. But I know other greenies that were larger and 54 would have been very thin. Your vet should be doing a keel bone check at every wellness exam.

keelbone-illus-2_orig.jpg

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
What's ideal is very individual! Body condition is much more important to deciding what is right for your bird :)

My green cheek was 54g and perfect for her. But I know other greenies that were larger and 54 would have been very thin. Your vet should be doing a keel bone check at every wellness exam.

View attachment 421879
Still trying to track down a vet sadly. I'm struggling to see a difference with the last 2 images, i'll keep an eye on him until i'm able to locate an avian vet. I think i found a good one, but shes booked up until march.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
There's a pretty big weight gap for GCC and as long as he has good body condition as in his keel is not too protruding or too little, your avian vet will be able to tell you.
My Gcc Tom is 76-78g, he's well muscled from flight training. The weight gap is between as small as 55g all the way to 80g.
Spearmint isn't too muscled, as he's not confident at all with flight, we're working on it though.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

View attachment 421879
Actually, just had a feel of his belly, and flattened down his feathers and he seems to be leaning toward underweight a little. I'll see if I can book a closer apptment with the Avian vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You'll want to make sure your checking the chest vs the belly. Basically the breast muscle is where they carry any extra. You'll feel a bump in the middle usually regardless, but with underweight it's more pronounced. With overweight it extends past the keel bone. My bird is always a bit underweight but after trying to get him to gain weight these past few years I'm just accepting it (as is my vet :lol:) Definitely good to get seen if he is underweight/losing weight but don't freak out :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Still trying to track down a vet sadly. I'm struggling to see a difference with the last 2 images, i'll keep an eye on him until i'm able to locate an avian vet. I think i found a good one, but shes booked up until march.
The bird in the last image has an awesome cleavage or front bum, the middle bird does not and the first bird has a sharp line sticking out as there is no fat or muscle.

The sooner you book in to the booked out vet clinic the better, I reckon you should just book an appointment regardless of date and if you find someone who is closer or that you can get into sooner just cancel the original appointment. If you are really stuck for a vet I can ask my friend in NSW who she uses but I know she has to travel a fair hike to both the vets I know she has used.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cheekies have quite a broad range in weight KiKi is 65 grams and Mojo is 78/79 they both get weighed weekly.
Have always checked weight weekly.

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Don’t feel too bad. As long as he is healthy and consistent I wouldn’t stress too much. My male GCC has always sat around 62 grams. Vet says he’s a healthy weight, just happens to be a smaller individual.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippen weighed 65g when we got her from being outside for a while. Last checkup a year later she is 85g, and vet thought she was fine when we first took her in and she's still fine now, just happy and eating well so there's a range to any bird as long as they're stable and not dropping suddenly.