• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure Variations

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
I recently heard the term "yellow-sided green cheek conure" and was a bit confused as don't most of them have yellow on their front side? I was wondering what breeders consider to be the line between normal and yellow-sided. Is it just the presence of yellow? Must the yellow be fully covering the belly?

Thanks for any responses! I usually don't care too much about variations but this one really confused me

Little bit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne
I recently heard the term "yellow-sided green cheek conure" and was a bit confused as don't most of them have yellow on their front side? I was wondering what breeders consider to be the line between normal and yellow-sided. Is it just the presence of yellow? Must the yellow be fully covering the belly?

Thanks for any responses! I usually don't care too much about variations but this one really confused me

Attachments

Little bit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne
I am adopting a yellow sided cinnamon green cheek conure. The picture is above. It is only 4 weeks in picture. He has dark green wings, yellow front, a little red below breast bone and a dark head. With a flesh tone beak. Don't know what sex yet. I will see it Friday again and take more pictures for you. 4 birds in clutch two dark like mine and 2 yellow sided green check cinnamon with lighter wings and cinnamon heads not black. I hope this helps. Joanne

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Green cheeks are in the "Pyhurra" family of conures. The baby is your hands is a Yellow sided mutation in color. I can't explain how they came about to name this mutation other than the sides of the body are yellow. I'm not sure why you are describing your baby as a yellow sided cinnamon unless the store told you that. I'm not great with the genetics as @Monica is. The only way you will truly know what sex it is would be to know exactly what the parents are ( some mutations are sex linked). If the parents are 1- a yellow sided green cheek and the other 2- is a cinnamon green cheek .. there could be different colored mutations in the same clutch of babies. The other 2 ways you can determine sex is either by DNA testing or waiting long enough until your bird matures and possibly lays an egg ( even without a male present).

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
thanks for the replies! Quite honestly, color mutations of lovebirds and conures to me are so confusing that I am always astounded how one differentiates them all. I now feel a bit more confident in identifying conures!

Little bit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne
Green cheeks are in the "Pyhurra" family of conures. The baby is your hands is a Yellow sided mutation in color. I can't explain how they came about to name this mutation other than the sides of the body are yellow. I'm not sure why you are describing your baby as a yellow sided cinnamon unless the store told you that. I'm not great with the genetics as @Monica is. The only way you will truly know what sex it is would be to know exactly what the parents are ( some mutations are sex linked). If the parents are 1- a yellow sided green cheek and the other 2- is a cinnamon green cheek .. there could be different colored mutations in the same clutch of babies. The other 2 ways you can determine sex is either by DNA testing or waiting long enough until your bird matures and possibly lays an egg ( even without a male present).
The mom of the baby is Gcc regular the dad is yellow sided. There are 2 cinnamon heads and muted green back feathers and 1 other like mine. The breeder called them yellow sided cinnamon. This is her 1st breeding of these 2 conures. She is going to DNA test.Joanne

Little bit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne
Is the egg color different than reg gcc?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They do not all have "yellow sides". Any green cheek conure that is *NOT* opaline will not have yellow sides. Opaline is the correct term for 'yellowsided'. It is known as "pearl" in cockatiels.

Almost all "yellowsided" green cheek conures will have yellowing to the sides of their stomach. (probably over 90%) A few might not, but they'll have other indications that they are yellowsided rather than a typical green cheek.

The mom of the baby is Gcc regular the dad is yellow sided. There are 2 cinnamon heads and muted green back feathers and 1 other like mine. The breeder called them yellow sided cinnamon. This is her 1st breeding of these 2 conures. She is going to DNA test.Joanne
If mom is a normal, and all offspring are either yellowsided or "pineapple" (yellowsided cinnamon), then all of the chicks are females, no need to DNA.

If mom is actually a yellowsided, then all cinnamon colored birds are hens and the yellowsided offspring could be male or female.

Your chick is not a cinnamon, just a yellowsided.