• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure Sudden Behavior Change

Avery Birb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
taylor
Hey guys.
I have an almost 2 year old Green Cheek Conure that I got from my job back last April. She's had her first molt and grew in her full flight feathers and stuff already which I read they do around 6 months old. She's always been a crazy bird.. screaming her head off and repeating her name multiple times to get my attention. Just a happy bird all around.
A few days ago, her behavior has changed. When I took her out of her cage she was stand off-ish. It's December and cold where I live so I'm thinking she might be going through another molt? She's been itching around her body and pulling out small white feathers (not plucking out her actual feathers). She sometimes sits behind me on my bed while I watch TV like she wants her space. She's been tired since this behavior changed also. Sleeping on me or my pillow a lot.
She's eating and drinking normally and even does the happy noises with her beak. Her poops look completely normal.
I know birds are super good at hiding their sickness till it gets really bad.. but if she's stressed out from molting maybe I don't want to stress her out again by taking her to the vet. But I definitely will if you guys think these are red flags to a sickness.
Everything seems to be normal except her behavior and itching.
Could her moodiness just be from her starting to molt for the winter?

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I think it's worth getting it checked out by a vet. My little guys get kind of cranky when they are molting, but they don't lose their energy.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Vet check...sleepy and irritable could be an illness.

Avery Birb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
taylor
Took her to the vet and the vet said that she's showing a lot of signs of her molting but also showing signs that she's going through puberty because of where she's pulling feathers from. The vet sent me home with some metacam to see how she does on it for the next 3-5 days. Hoping it's just her molting and that she overcomes it in the next few days.