• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

green cheek conure - slight wheezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys,

My gcc started wheezing lightly. first i heard it when he got mad at me and was circling in his attack mode. I though it was funny that he was wheezing because i thought he was doing it coz he was mad at me. But then today he tried cleaning his nose *as he often does* with his nail in the nostril and then sneezes. But then he wheeze a couple of times right after.

I am worried that he got sick, and ive read about some horror stories online so i will take him to the wet but in the mean time has anyone experienced anything similar?

He eats normally, he eats a LOT, he drinks water, playful, nothing unusual at all! its pretty warm in my house now that its winter, so i thought maybe it might be the air?

what do you guys suggest? :huh:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
First let Me say,Welcome to Avian Avenue:hug8:
You say it is warm in the house,could the air also be very dry? Do You have a humidifier going?

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I think the air may be very dry for him and we have no humidifier. But i tried making a slight steam in my bathroom and he seemed to like it. We just got out of the bathroom and he started wheezing again. And thanks for the warm welcome :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Your Welcome for the Welcome:) Can You get a Humidifier?Or do You have a Crock Pot that You could Keep running full of water to add Humidity to the house?How long has it been since He has been to the Vet? It would Be a Good idea to Take him! Praying that its just the dry air and that He will Be OK:hug8:

maui tango louie

Moving in
Real Name
Deborah
I'm real sorry to hear your bird is wheezing-my blue and gold macaw is going thru the same thing..I took him to the vet and he is on Baytril and has improved alot-but the xray findings show some things that I'm going for a second opinion on .The vet told me to just move Maui into the bathroom and keep it steamed up for him 3 times a day or as needed.He enjoys the treatment alot...I stopped using the strong cleaners ,air fresheners and all the other stuff that i never believed was harmful....i have a 15 yr old sun conure that was raised around the cleaners and it never effected him...now i believe ....some birds are just hypersensitive and it really isnt good for anybirdy..
i keep a humidifier in his room-wish i had the money for an air purifier but will get one asap...we rehomed the cockatiels and cockatoos when we found out about the dander issue...i know cigarette smoke also affects them so i have to keep anyone that smokes from handling him-we are not smokers so thats a good thing...i changed his diet to the Harrison's pellets because we think some mold may be an issue from the Brown's diet i was using.....maybe some of this info will help-i would take your birdy to the vet-he deserves the best !!! We will be praying for everbirdy that is sick and hope to hear good reports soon !!:heart:

maui tango louie

Moving in
Real Name
Deborah
i forgot to mention that Maui was eating and drinking and playing normal like your gcc and would have these breathing episodes when it was too dry or warm-so this has happened the past two winters and not at any other time of the year..i have to say those are very cute pics of Bonnie's flock..just toooo cute!!!

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Welcome. Personally i would take him to the vets. if their is a health problem you should take him in. i just took Boomer is because he was sneezing and he had a seed stuck in his nare. They should not be wheezing and the faster you get it treated the faster he will heal.

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys! Thank you for all the responses! I took Ryo to the vet, and the vet said he was a very healthy bird and that there was nothing wrong with him, but that it is possibly due to dry air. They said to wait about a month and if he doesnt stop maybe do blood work and some xrays. I have not gotten a humidifier yet, but i definitly will! We have just been airing out the house a couple of times a day and keep it cooler now, so he wheezes a lot less. I also try to clean off the dust everyday, but he still does it from time to time, especially when he gets mad! The vet also said to steam the bathroom, but ryo doesnt like it and i think he wheezes a lot more there! I just hope this is a seasonal thing! Hope Maui gets better too!

:heart: Thanks guys!

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.