• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Green cheek conure or African grey may or may not have eaten gas pil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
The Arican grey and Green cheek conure were eating on the table. We found a broken/partially eaten? gas pill between them. I'm not sure if one or both of them ate it. It might have just been broken, but it is very possible one of them at some of it. Is it going to hurt them? If one of them did eat it, it was probably the green cheek. Is eating part of a gas pill going to hurt him? Should I take them to the vet, or just keep an eye on them.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hi Kiersten, What exactly is the name of the pill please?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
First call you vet and tell he what they may have eaten and ask for his recommendation. If no response from the vet tell us more about the brand of pill, size. etc.

Gary

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
It's Gas-X or something like that. It says the active ingredient is Simethicone.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
It's a gel cap, I think he might of just eaten the outside (the gel outsidet hat holds the medicine). I think the medicine just leaked out. But I guess he could have licked up a bit of it... :(

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
From Google talking about an overdose in humans: Overdose

Again you vet is your best advice. Keep an eye on your bird and make sure it gets plenty of fluids.

Keep us posted

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I'm looking at the pill and packaging and I think it was the grey who took it out of the package, but I still can't be sure who ate it. They're both looking fine. Afie's acting normal and Westley is doing what he does best- eating. Now he's playing.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You can also call poison control. They'll need the name of the med. and the approximate weight of your birds. I do believe they charge a fee though.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Thanks so much everyone. :hug8: Westley and Afie are both put to bed and they are both looking and acting fine. Even if they did eat a little bit, it didn't hurt them.

deee

Avenue Veteran
Poison control doesnt charge if its about people.. but im not sure about animals. I hope they didnt get in it!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Poison control is awesome. Hoping your little ones are ok.:hug8:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words. :) It's morning and they both are completely fine. :cheer:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I have given my chinchilla baby gas drops many many times. My vet says that I cannot overdose them with it (simethicone or something), so I bet birds are similar too. It just goes right through them. Glad they are ok this morning!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Poison control doesnt charge if its about people.. but im not sure about animals. I hope they didnt get in it!!
I was so pititful when my 80 pound boxer scoffed up my BP pill when I dropped it on the floor.... the guy said the he would just pretend it was an 80 pound child and didn't charge me!!!!!!!! (The Boxer was fine, btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.