• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek conure odd behavior

JUnder

Checking out the neighborhood
So my green cheek conure is doing a new, weird behavior. She's around 4 years old. She has a furry tent in her cage that she sleeps in but recently at random times of the afternoon she goes in the tent and is kind of laying or in a weird position making a constant weird noise. The noise is tough to explain but it's like a growling but not really...idk but anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
If you can get a picture of the position that'd be helpful. I have a Sun Conure who used to masturbate in her fuzzy tent/get into an egg laying position and make weird noises. I dont know what kind of position your green cheek is exhibiting though, therefore, take my advice with a grain of salt. I wouldn't want to tell you one thing and it actually turn out to be a serious medical issue! If this is what she is actually doing egg laying position/maturbating in and of itself can cause serious medical issues if she becomes egg bound. If this is the case then in my case, I removed the tent to stop the behavior. My Sun Conure, after removing the tent, then started masturbating/rubbing her vent on certain toys and those I removed too, but, of course I replaced the toy of affection with another toy that wasnt an object of affection and into a different area of the cage. Hope this helps or gives some insight!

JUnder

Checking out the neighborhood
Okay, next time she does it I'll try to get a picture. I've been doing some reading and I was afraid that's what it'd be was the masturbating ‍♀♀♀ I will try to get a pic then take the tent out for the time being Thanks so much and I'll keep you posted