• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Hi Everyone!

My Pineapple Conure, Ducky, is just over 3 months old. She was hand raised and I've had her almost 2 weeks. I am so in love with her it's crazy. Her personality is coming out more and more each day. One I guess concerning habit she has is she seems somewhat "mouthy." By that I mean if she's on my shoulder and I go to pet her with one finger for a scratch on the head she'll mouth my finger and let out a little screech but then let me scratch her head and she gets into it and loves it and continues playing with me. She does this pretty frequently, sometimes with a small screech and sometimes without. She doesn't bite hard, it is not a true bite where it's quick, powerful, and painful but she's definitely "mouthy."

Is this normal behavior for conures? Is she just being playful? If not, how can I get her to stop doing it?

Thanks everyone!! :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I find my 8mo gcc to be mouthy (beaky?) as well. She loves to just sit with my finger in her beak, lol. When she was a bit younger she would lick my face also. I think it's just normal behavior but I'm not sure, so I'll tag @webchirp @Monica

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
Welcome!
:welcome2:
Ducky is communicating, and both of you are making great progress!

Kona is a DNA tested female-the same age as Ducky, and was hand fed. Each personality will be, or may reveal differently.

Kona decided to use my shoulder at 12 weeks, and I was ready days before that event. My girl has not bitten once, and makes a gritty- little noise when she's ticked, and swings her head, and opens the beak. This never happens around the cage, and only when I try to have her step up when she wants to stay put near me.

Usually, I'm either persistent, or I give her a minute before letting her know what we are doing- step up!

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Very normal for them to be mouthy. Maks is finally out of the stage after redirecting each time...to not stick his beak up my nose trying to pick it. He was a quick little booger!

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
I also have a hand reared pineapple green cheek conure who does the same thing! its normal for them and he's just trying to comunicate.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
My Bailey is the same way as well and he is 12 weeks last Wednesday. He tends to want to beak everything in sight. We do not react unless he is too rough, which he has been a couple of times.

seems normal from what I have read. But this is the first time I have a GCC ( not my avatar).

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Very normal for them to be mouthy. Maks is finally out of the stage after redirecting each time...to not stick his beak up my nose trying to pick it. He was a quick little booger!
Jade likes to try and do that with my ear, lol. She's learning that I don't like that, but I can't help but laugh!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Oooh yes that tickles in a very fearful kindd of way!! He has nailed me a couple of times already!

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
Jade likes to try and do that with my ear, lol. She's learning that I don't like that, but I can't help but laugh!
Good to hear that I'm not the only one here! My GCC Impa does that to my ear and sometimes it's a bit pinchy. I generally get her to step up onto my finger and put her on a perch near me when it happens hoping she will get the idea fairly quickly that I don't like it. She's also interested in removing any freckles moles or spots in general that I may have... Very thoughtful of her. :wacky:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds, in general, especially babies, tend to be mouthy. They're basically feathered puppies! And now is a great time to work on teaching them not to bite! ;) The only bite that can't be rewarded is the bite that doesn't occur. By "allowing" a bird to bite, you are only reinforcing their need to bite.

Training, redirecting and learning to read their body language can go a long way into teaching them not to bite. Never ignore a bite! But do teach your bird to step up willingly from your shoulder! This could be a physical step up or walking "down" your arm for a reward.

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
haha! He sounds adorable! How did you redirect him? Like what is the best way to redirect and train them not to do these things? Thank you!

DuckyLou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
I also have a hand reared pineapple green cheek conure who does the same thing! its normal for them and he's just trying to comunicate.
Thank you! That makes me feel better :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
haha! He sounds adorable! How did you redirect him? Like what is the best way to redirect and train them not to do these things? Thank you!
Every time he tried, I would either distract him with play or a toy. Over and over and over...

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don't have conures currently, but in the past I did. They would do the same thing, it's almost like they want scratches, but change their mind at the last second.