• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek conure enjoys lips too much

Nestum

Meeting neighbors
I've had Romeo for about a month now. He's 3 months old and everything seems to be going smoothly. He's healthy and not a very picky eater. Also didn't expect him to be such a cuddle bug!

I'm new to conures however, I've only had cockatiels up to this point, and everything is very alien to me. And here's one thing about Romeo that intrigues me since day #1: He's very nibbly. He's constantly nibbling on my fingers, and when he's on my shoulder he'll nibble on my ear and face. Recently, however, his beak has gotten a lot more stronger and he doesn't seem to notice. His bites can really hurt, even when he doesn't mean it. He has this weird fixation with my lips and teeth. I never encourage this behavior but he has given me a couple of tough love scars!

I was wondering if this is something normal for these types of birds and what are some tips to make him stop!

Regardless, can't wait to get to know this little guy even better!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Out of my six conures I have one ( female crimson bellied) that has the same fascination and insistence that I recognize her on my shoulder when I'm busy cleaning cages. If I bend over to wipe the floor she's hanging upside down looking at my face. Two minutes later when I'm standing up she might be climbing down my pant leg to check out my shoes. They can be super interactive curious feathered toddlers into everything. And I got news for you.... she's 11 years old now... so you have that to look forward to for a long, long time. :D

When his nibbles get too much put him on a play stand with something to do to keep him busy and happy.... you are just one big chew toy. Human saliva is bad for birds so just turn your head away from him when he's on your shoulder.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This is pretty natural for a young, curious bird - or any young animal for that matter.

It's best to avoid the behavior and redirect it into something else. By allowing this behavior to occur, you are only reinforcing the behavior as well as allowing it to turn into bites. You can avoid and redirect by teaching foraging activities, providing foot toys and training new behaviors that engage your little one's mind! :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Your feathered friend is growing up and learning all the time... it will learn everying good and bad from your reactions and responses! It took Pilo nearly two years before I could trust him anywhere whilst he is on me or near me (any never 100 percent)! Time and patience! Worth it in the long run! Remember they live for a very long time! :)