• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure Clicker Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentmajor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brent
So I started clicker training with my GCC 3 days ago and he anticipates the treat and will go where ever I present the treat. I tried to start target training and he is scared of my hand and the target stick. How should I work with this? Obviously not chase him around with the stick but how do i make him realize that the target stick is a good thing?

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
You may want to try something smaller like a toothpick or something like a straw. Another thing to do is to "shape" him to target the stick. Determine at what range he gets uncomfortable with the target stick, then start by placing the target stick outside of that distance (ex. if he gets uncomfortable when it's 1 foot away place it 1 1/2 feet away from him) and click him for just looking at it. Once he seems okay with that, move it a little closer. Repeat until you are able to work with the stick close to him then switch from clicking for him looking at it to moving toward and eventually touching it. If at anytime he seems uncomfortable, move back to the previous step and work a little longer.

From reading about shaping it might seem like it could take forever, but they usually get so into the game they forget they are afraid of the object and you find you can move faster.

I love shaping and breaking behaviors down into small steps. It takes some patience but I love watching when they finally get what you are trying to train them to do.

brentmajor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brent
Thank you so much!! I will continue working with him and let you know about any progress!

brentmajor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brent
Rio and I had another session about 5 minutes ago and before we hit the 10 click mark he beaked the target stick! Much faster than I expected!

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Yay Rio! He just wanted to get you thinking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.