• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

xjillian

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jillian
Hello! So I recently got a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure and he's (not sure if it's a boy or a girl) about two, almost three months old.
Sometimes when I take him out of his cage and put him on the top of the cage, he'll start rapidly bobbing his head and then bite my hand hard.
What does this mean? I know that sometimes when they rapidly bob their head that they're trying to regurgitate, but why the biting? Is he being territorial? Is it mating behavior? Or is it something else completely? Please help, thanks.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
2-3 months old is a barely weaned baby, so it's definitely not mating behaviour. The head bobbing is more likely baby begging for food. The biting is because he's a baby and still exploring his environment and doesn't know that hands aren't for chomping on yet. Baby conures are rather like babies of other kinds, they want to put everything in their mouths to explore textures and so on.

xjillian

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jillian
2-3 months old is a barely weaned baby, so it's definitely not mating behaviour. The head bobbing is more likely baby begging for food. The biting is because he's a baby and still exploring his environment and doesn't know that hands aren't for chomping on yet. Baby conures are rather like babies of other kinds, they want to put everything in their mouths to explore textures and so on.
He actually just regurgitated a few minutes ago when I took him out. Is it normal for him to do that though since he's just a baby? I thought that regurgitating was mostly a mating thing.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Have you had him vetted? Regurgitation is usually connected with yeast infections if it isn't a behavioral thing. Safer to rule out with a vet check.