• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek conure all of suddenly afraid of me

Theenaaa

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I adopted my Green Cheek Conure, Sparky, 2 years ago from my sister. He doesn't get along well with other people, and was attacking me a LOT in the beginning. But I finally got him to get comfortable around me to the point where we cuddled every night. But a couple months ago I got them bird heaters cause it was getting super cold at night in our room. And ever since that day he has been terrified of my hands. He will run away immediately. I took him to the vet and they said he was fine and hopefully he would be back to normal soon. Recently I noticed he would still kiss my if I puckered my lips but that's about it.
Is or has anyone ever had the same problem, and how did you fix it? Or does anyone have any advice? Anything would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I don’t have a green cheek but @Wardy might be able to help

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could something else have happened involving hands when the perches where added ?
I only ask as my two just keep away from things in there cage, might be worth having a thing so it doesnt hsppen again or isnt still happening.

I would approach this as if the bird was new -
Drop treats into a bowl when the bird is caged and your passing.

Move on to offering treats through the cage bars allowing the bird to come to you.
The reason i suggest doing this whilst the bird is cages it's the birds safe place so should be more confident.

Once this is consistant move onto target training and step up training with him.

When he is outside the cage offer treats from a distance allowing the bird to come to you for the treat.

Sparky still trusts you if he is kissing you he is just not happy with hands right now so doing the above will associate hands with a more positive experience ( getting a treat use the most high value treat for Sparky )

It might take a little bit of time but with some patience he will come around.

Theenaaa

Checking out the neighborhood
Could something else have happened involving hands when the perches where added ?
I only ask as my two just keep away from things in there cage, might be worth having a thing so it doesnt hsppen again or isnt still happening.

I would approach this as if the bird was new -
Drop treats into a bowl when the bird is caged and your passing.

Move on to offering treats through the cage bars allowing the bird to come to you.
The reason i suggest doing this whilst the bird is cages it's the birds safe place so should be more confident.

Once this is consistant move onto target training and step up training with him.

When he is outside the cage offer treats from a distance allowing the bird to come to you for the treat.

Sparky still trusts you if he is kissing you he is just not happy with hands right now so doing the above will associate hands with a more positive experience ( getting a treat use the most high value treat for Sparky )

It might take a little bit of time but with some patience he will come around.
Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

I agree with Wardy. Go back to square one and start again. Even if it seems silly to pretend your bird is a new bird, it is the best way to move forward.

A similar thing happened to me, after medicating one of my lovebirds for a few weeks, he was more skittish around me, and not the same friendly inquisitive little guy. So we had to do the same.
Offer lots of treats! ;)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've had the sudden fear of hands in my gcc as well a few times in our life together.

What worked for us was very much like mentioned above. I has a chat with her apologized fir any misunderstanding. Then fed treats by hand multiple times a day. Mine can't resist safflower seeds! Spent lots if time sweet talking her. Paid attention to body language respect. Then we moved passed it. I think gcc are a little more prone to getting hand spooked than some of the other parrot species.

Good luck!