• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure age

ilze

Moving in
Real Name
ilze
Hello! A week ago I got a gcc from a pet shop (I'm in Canada), according to the seller the parrot is 8 weeks old (9 weeks now)
but i have started to doubt if the age is accurate because he has a lot of pin feathers on his head which i at first thought might be baby pin feathers but i've read more information that said he should already have all his feathers grown by now . So I started to think that maybe this is his first molting, but i dont see any feathers falling currently. From the leg band i read the info HRC 19 P 687 so i know for sure he's born in 2019 . I've attached pictures What do you think? drako1.jpg drako2.jpg

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm not sure of his age, but he's very cute! Hopefully some people who are knowledgeable about young Conures will add to this thread soon.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Your question about the pin feathers could be a valid one. Was he fully weaned when you took him home? It's not unheard of for a gcc to be weaned at 8 weeks but usually breeders will hold the bird a week after weaning to make sure the bird is maintaining body weight. Did they provide you with any paper work?

ilze

Moving in
Real Name
ilze
Thanks for the answer, yes he was fully weaned but I did not get provided any documents :( There's only the leg band

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the answer, yes he was fully weaned but I did not get provided any documents :( There's only the leg band
Was this a bird store or a general bird store? Could you ask for paper work? I find that more often than not, employees lack the knowledge because of poor communication within the staff.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
thank you, yes he's very cute, surprisingly smart and little bit nippy :)
Sounds like a “normal” conure to me:joyful::smuggrin: He’s adorable, regardless.

ilze

Moving in
Real Name
ilze
He's had them since I got him yes

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Then it's possible that some of his head feathers haven't had the pins removed at all.... maybe he was plucked even as a chick so the feathers that should have been grown out had to be replaced with new feathers. Either way, I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about! :) He could be about the age that he's supposed to be!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What Monica said is what I was going to say - yes, all the feathers are in, but perhaps they haven't been unsheathed ;) The pins that are there are hard to get to if you are all by yourself!