• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 green cheek baby attacked by dog

birdbeaks

Moving in
Real Name
harvey
hi all. i recently got my green cheek conure baby about a week ago. he was attacked by my two year old pomsky this afternoon, at about 1:30pm. it is now 8:46pm.

the attack happened in the blink of an eye. i barely even saw it. everything was normal, i was waking him up and getting him out and placed him on my shoulder as i always do. i guess i didn’t shut the door all the way and the pup came in. he scared my bird and he flew, crash landed and was corned by the dog. he was screaming and lost a lot of tail feather (not all of them) and then flew to the other side of the room and crash landed again. i ushered him out of the room and into my room with his big cage. he was bleeding from his mouth and nose. he was breathing extremely heavily and making a “tck” sound. i didn’t see my dog bite him and there was no puncture wounds, just bleeding from nose and mouth.

after a little bit of time the bleeding stopped. he was lethargic but still aware. i called every vet office near me and none of them could take him, not even for emergency visits. one vet answered and suggested i keep him in the cage under supervision, so i did that.

after a bit of time he seemed okay. he was being a lot more clingy than usual and still is. his breathing seems to be normal and he did eat and drink a bit. he has pooped but it was yellow, not sure if that’s something to be worried about? he’s been keeping his eyes shut most of the day and sleeping. he did play with his toys for a little and i did catch him preening himself. he will still step up and fly. he’s just so clingy. not sure if that’s due to the trauma or not.

i’m having a lot of trouble with all of this and some advice would be greatly appreciated. i’m so scared for him. he’s my world and i love him so much. i’ll attach a picture of what he’s been looking like most of the day.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please get to avian vet asap. He may have a concussion and that needs to be checked

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would keep calling in the morning. Dog saliva contains bacteria that can cause sepsis and death.

If you didn't see wounds I would be concerned about internal bleeding. The nares and mouth do not bleed without cause. The tck sound also makes me worry about respiratory trauma. My Jardine's had a respiratory infection when I got him and he would make that noise, but only when he exerted himself.

Hopefully you can find someone!

birdbeaks

Moving in
Real Name
harvey
How is your baby this morning?
he’s doing so much better. i called the vet with symptoms and they said if there was no puncture wound i didn’t need to come in. i think he might’ve been smacked in the face with my dogs paw and that’s why he was bleeding from nose & mouth. i’m going to be making a checkup appointment with the vet anyways.
thank you everyone for the advice :) yesterday was really a scare for me!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry this happened to your little bird. Some dogs are just not good around birds.

Hope your baby will be just fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
he’s doing so much better. i called the vet with symptoms and they said if there was no puncture wound i didn’t need to come in. i think he might’ve been smacked in the face with my dogs paw and that’s why he was bleeding from nose & mouth. i’m going to be making a checkup appointment with the vet anyways.
thank you everyone for the advice :) yesterday was really a scare for me!
Birds can get infections even from us kissing them on the beak, so I'm glad he seems fine but I honestly would want to still have him checked him out just to be safe :heart: