• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheeck conure "father bird" harassing hen and her chick.

Linda C.

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Linda Compton
Chick is two weeks old. No sign of down feathers, so are they bring plucked by parents? Eyes are open. Beak appears normal. No blood spots on skin, which is shiny. No sign of pin feathers yet. Hen guards the chick, father bird goes into the box and the pair sound like they are fighting. They are fed fresh soft food mix twice a day and free feed of Zupreem pellets snd top quality parrot seed and dried fruit mix, with access in a separate bowl of Quicko egg food. Cuttlebone is always hung in their cage. Spray millet is provided daily. They are housed in a 3' w x 3' h x 2' d flight cage with perches and toys. I am worried that the chick might get hurt when the parents squabble?? I have considered removing the father bird but will that make the hen abandon this chick? She had four eggs, twof of which were fertile, one viable chick. She has started to lay more eggs. Is the obvious answer that I should pull the chick now for handfeeding? I had planned to pull this chick at three weeks, wanting it to stay with its parents until then.And is the lack of down and naked skin a sign the patents are plucking or normal for two weeks old. I l I owed at pictures on YouTube and my own pictures of their chick from the last clutch and it had a bare head but still had down at this age. Thank you for any advice you would like to offer. Linda C.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Linda,

She has started to lay more eggs.
As the hen layed more eggs, then you need to remove the chick now for handrearing. Given the chicks age, they will need to live in a brooder until they are fully feathered.
I would also recommend taking the egg too and boiling it, allowing it to cool and putting it back. It is dangerous to allow back to back breeding like this, so making the egg non-viable is in your birds best interests.
Once she abandons the eggs or the 18 day window is up, remove the nesting box and rearrange the cage, let her have a break from breeding to recover for the next season.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the 18 day window is up
Sorry, I got carried away when replying and got the species mixed up. Google says incubation period for your conure is approx 24 days.
So leave the boiled eggs to be brooded for 24 days or until the hen abandons.