• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Aracari Cage Size

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Hello,

Over the past few months I've been looking into getting a pet bird and an aracari seems perfect, although I'm unsure if I have enough room for an appropriately sized cage (it would have to be indoors only as I live in an apartment complex) and it's very hard to find what size that should be. Links to examples would be much appreciated.

What sized cage do you consider necessary? Is placing the cage in the bedroom instead of the living room ok if you plan on giving the bird free range of the house when you're home?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Chris

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I don't know if @Calpurnia ever comes on still but she has Kevin!
I know they need less vertical space and more horizontal because they hop. Like 2-3 feet in one little jump! Its so cute to watch videos of. But they don't use their beaks to climb. And that their poops are like fruit smoothies.
That's all I know!
Good luck!

Eta: you can probably go through her posts and learn a lot too honestly!
Some Aracari Questions | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

This is a good thread to read

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know Carole used to have a double flight cage for a aracari at one point. She now has a very large Expandable Habitats cage.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
^ i agree. The chicken coup mentioned in the thread was super long, and like I said they can't climb with their beaks so vertical space is basically useless

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Bump. But i do agree that vertical space is useless if they cant climb with their beak. Good Luck!