• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Green and red poop?!?!

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
When Triton pooped this morning, it was green and red! I'm freaking out! He hasn't eaten anything red that I can think of, and the closest colour is carrots. We're going to the vet ASAP, because even if its something silly and I'm overreacting, I'd rather be safe than sorry! His stool has been darker than usual, but I disregarded it at first. Please send prayers this way!

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
The usual vet said that the soonest opening is in three hours. Should I go to another one?? He's acting completely normal.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Take the three hours. You can always go early and there may be a no show or cancellation.

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
His stool seems to have browned out. It's still sort of watery and he pooped on ME, which he never does. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
Good news! Doctor looked at the supposedly bloody poop and concluded that the bacteria in his gut was converting the colour of one of his foods to red. No charge was given, since it was a quick exam.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Did he say what to do about it?

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
@Newbie GCC I don't need to change anything supposedly. I had introduced Harrison a week ago, and it seems that he just started eating it. Nothing bad in his stool other than the strange color.

ConureTiel

Avenue Veteran
Well that's a relief! Thanks for sharing the findings. You should see Jingo's ORANGE poop (well, urates) after he eats dried papaya -- but so far I've always been able to figure out a food that links to weirdly-colored poops. Interesting that it can be just a product of digestive bacteria action.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Goodness, they always keep up hopping, don't they?

I remember the first time Pepper ate beet greens... Red poop freaked me out to panic mode, until remembered the beet greens the day before.

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
Every time Zorro gets red bell peppers I have a quick heart attack. The colors, man, the colors!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
OH God, Glad to hear your bird is well, I thought it was only ME freaking out.

Went in to the aviary Sunday morning, find a big red splotch in among the normal poop under the favorite perch. Then saw the red Fruit pellet dust around the perch!

Hoping thats all it is

Last edited:

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I'm glad to hear your little one is fine!
Miss Sapphire got both me and my boyfriend with the funny coloured food thing yesterday too. We gave them a little bit of dragonfruit in the morning, when my boyfriend went to step her up he noticed her foot was blood red. He checked all over for bleeding before he remembered the dragonfruit.
They were all in the shower when I got home from work, I had a quick glance at the cage floors and saw a big, red mess in Sapphs cage. I had a little panic and then remembered the fruit.
Btw Dragonfruit doesn't wash off feets very well....