• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greater Vasa versus Sun Conure end gets Fairly Aggressive

Sir Vasalot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bryan Greenfarb
Thread Withdrawn. Lesson Learned. If you heard me at the end I agreed it was getting out of hand but in retrospect could have and should have been avoided all along. Thanks for sharing the wisdom as I am somewhat new to the bird world and willing to change those things I am not doing well.

Respectfully,

Bryan

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IMHO I was wincing during this video. Your Sun conure is feeling threatened and unsafe. The end they actually have physical contact. You are asking for an accident to happen. I would not allow this to continue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Re: Sun Conure Skittles takes on my Greater Vasa Eva in a beak to beak battle.

This seems like a situation that requires intervention, not a camera. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Exactly!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I usually love seeing different parrot species interact, but I feel like allowing a bird who is considerably larger than the other be attacked is very dangerous. You seem very proud of this dangerous argument. Perhaps you could explain why you are amused by this? I thought it was quite scary.

I see that you quite often do double posts of your threads. I'm not sure why you feel the need to do that, but it's annoying to have 2 different active threads of the same content. I love hearing about your birds and seeing your photos, but I (and many other roadies) wish you would restrict your threads to a single one per subject. ;)

Last edited:

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Sun Conure Skittles takes on my Greater Vasa Eva in a beak to beak battle.

There is nothing good about this video .... I feel bad for both birds involved. I hope you will take everyone's advice and not allow this to happen again...these birds were not happy :( The Vasa Is on the conures cage ?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award

Wow ..

I find this video just horrific. What a terrible example of what NOT to do.

It only takes a second for tragedy to strike, no matter how close you think you're standing, one blink, and you've got a missing toe/foot/beak or way, way worse.

I lost two of my babies to a larger bird, and I was taking what I thought were precautions, to see someone just sit and video such a dangerous situation as if they think it's "cool' just floors me. To take such a risk with your birds is just asking for tragedy. Why don't you read my story ... and perhaps you'll think differently about your actions:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/highway-heaven/60596-my-heart-missing-pieces-today.html
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...-hours-you-were-there-thank-you-everyone.html

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Merlie, I cried reading that. That's heartbreaking and that's exactly why when Red is out and the others are out that we are closely monitoring what is happening. Basically, birdies don't come out if we are not around and we certainly wouldn't trust Red on his own with the lovies especially now that he can fly. He thinks it's fun to chase them, but I know that it'd only take a slipped bite to grab one of their necks and kill them. He can pierce our skin, he would kill them and it wouldn't be his fault. It'd be ours. Fortunately they have their own areas to be in which keeps them both happy, but any sign of them coming together on the playgym or cages and we're onto them straight away.

Bryan, don't take offence, I am sure you know your birds better than we do, but even with how good Red is and how docile he is, I wouldn't trust him for a second with the lovies and your beautiful Vasa's have bigger beak weapons than Red does!

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I won't restate what others have said because it's quite obvious why this is a bad decision

but.... :sad8:

I also know from your previous posts that you are fairly new to birds, if I recall correctly you have acquired your birds less than 6 months ago? So i'll take into consideration that maybe you aren't aware of all the dangers, like this incident, but please learn from others stories so they you don't have to learn yourself. Especially Merlie, it's sad to have to learn from someone's heart break, but we don't want you or the birds ending in that situation.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen

In addition to what has already been said, I felt badly for the conure, who was clearly feeling threatened and probably afraid. Even if he wasn't in danger, I can't enjoy watching any creature experience fear. That's why I rehomed my sweet tiel. She was in no danger from Gussie but she was on constant alert--she thought Gussie was a threat. I felt this was unfair and unhealthy for her so I found her a home with another tiel. From the conure's perspective, this wasn't fun! Please don't subject him to this kind of " game" any more. I'm sure you care about your birds and their happiness...just try rewatching this video through Skittles eye.. It may look very different to you. Okay?

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey

I just wanted to add that I don't mean to offend you, Bryan. In fact, I don't think anyone here is saying anything meant to offend you. I personally am just concerned for the safety of the birds and I would hate for the event that happened in this video to go bad and you end up with an injured/dead bird. I'm sure you understand and definitely would not like for that to happen either.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The size difference is apparent. What is also apparent is the behavior from your Sun warding off an intruder. It was the same behavior you will see with outside birds of different species within each others space. Your Vasa being larger didn't appear to seems aggessive but your Sun was clearly stressed and upset.

Just not a good idea to mix species of sizes that are not buddies. Perhaps it can work out as time goes on but that is something that I would not allow to happen here seeing one of my birds that upset with an invasion of his space or territory. It could lead to a very bad outcome if your Vasa decides to pay it back to the little one striking out.

Sir Vasalot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bryan Greenfarb
Lesson Learned. If you heard me at the end I agreed it was getting out of hand but in retrospect could have and should have been avoided all along. Thanks for sharing the wisdom as I am somewhat new to the bird world and willing to change those things I am not doing well.

Respectfully,

Bryan

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Glad you have seen what our eyes have seen. Saves you heartache later on. :hug8:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Hey, Bryan~ everyone here was new to the world of birds at one time. I lost my first bird ever to an "accident" that would not have happened had my family not been new to birds. That was 65 years ago & I am STILL learning how to be a better parront . You have come to the right place to become knowledgable about these wonderful creatures. And kudos to you for being open to suggestions for better "parronting " :dance4:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Every day is a learning lesson for us too Bryan, great to see you taking on board things as a new parront. :)